Ambition

10:30 AM




Chuck Colson was a self-made man. As a student, he arrogantly turned down a scholarship to Harvard. He joined the Marines, set up his own law firm and entered politics. By the age of forty he had become one of President Nixon’s closest advisers. Later he described himself as ‘a young ambitious political king maker’. He was known as Nixon’s ‘hatchet-man’.
He pleaded guilty to his part in the Watergate cover-up scandal and was sent to prison. By then he had encountered Jesus. When he left the court after hearing the sentence he said, ‘What happened in court today ... was the court’s will and the Lord’s will – I have committed my life to Jesus Christ and I can work for Him in prison as well as out.’
Colson did just that. After his release he set up Prison Fellowship and has since been directly or indirectly responsible for leading thousands to Christ. I once heard him say on the radio, ‘I was ambitious, and I am ambitious today, but I hope it is not for Chuck Colson (though I struggle quite a lot as a matter of fact). But I am ambitious for Christ.’
Ambition has been defined as the ‘desire to succeed’. There are ultimately only two controlling ambitions to which all others may be reduced: one is our own glory, and the other is God’s glory.
Blessings,
Roxanna

You Might Also Like

0 comments