On being a good neighbor {Luke 10}

3:21 AM




We read in today’s passage (Luke 10) that Jesus was asked what the most important commandment was, to what He responded that the greatest commandment is to "love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind" and the second to "love your neighbor as yourself".  Jesus was then immediately asked who counts as a neighbor and he responded with a parable, or a story lesson that is an example for everyday life. 
The story of the good Samaritan is the story of a man who had been beaten, robbed and left for dead. It is of a story that must have been familiar to Jesus' hearers for it was common for thieves and muggers to hide along the road between Jerusalem and Jericho. A priest and a Levite coming across the beaten man but didn’t want to help. I believe they might have had some excuses (and some of them quite understandable), such as:
"This road is too dangerous for me to stop and help the man."

"He might be a decoy for an ambush."

"I've got to get to the temple and perform my service for the Lord."
"I've got to get home and see my family."
"Someone really should help that man."
"If I'm going to serve at the temple I can't get my clothes bloody."
"I don't know first aid."
"It's a hopeless case."
"I'm only one person; the job is too big."
"I can pray for him."
"He brought it on himself, he should have never been alone on such a dangerous road."
"He never asked for help"


Instead, it is a Samaritan, (one despised in Jewish society), who had mercy and compassion upon the beaten man and went out of his way (even at personal cost to himself) to see that this man is healed and taken care of.

Some few great lessons we can all learn from the story:

1. The good samaritan was willing to get involved.
We may quote scripture and recite platitudes on love and God, but unless we are willing to get involved in other people’s lives, we are only blowing smoke. The Samaritan treated and bandaged the wounds. He set the injured man on his donkey. He took him to an inn and cared for him throughout the night. The Samaritan could have said to himself, “I give regularly to my church.  I donate to the Salvation Army every Christmas. I have done my part.” But he didn’t. As the scriptures say, he had compassion...and he acted on it.
2. The good samaritan ignored racism.
Even though he was considered a “despised Samaritan,” or part of a minority race” he rose above such shallowness to care for a fellow human being. I compare the Samaritan’s actions to an American 19th century slave showing compassion to a plantation owner or a Jewish prisoner demonstrating concern for a Nazi guard during WWII.

3. The good samaritan was generous.
The Samaritan didn’t know how long the injured man would be laid up, but I am guessing (because the text said the attack left him “half dead”), that it could be a long stay. At any rate, the wellbeing of this stranger was more important to our Good Samaritan than whatever the cost might be.

Jesus was showing that if you really want to be a neighbor to people then it is also to those that you normally don’t want to help (Samaritan’s and Jews despised each other). 

It is easy to be a neighbor to your own friends and those close to you. What about those that you don’t normally like? It is easy to turn a blind eye but Jesus was showing that true love is like that of the Samaritan who loved and helped even those they normally stay away from.
I pray that the story of the Good Samaritan change our  thoughts and actions towards people who are not like us! God tells us to love everyone without discrimination!

Blessed weekend sisters!
In Christ
Angie

You Might Also Like

0 comments