Humility vs. Authority {Luke 7}

5:54 PM




 Image result for Luke 7:6

A few weeks ago while I participated in a small group study at my church, we were discussing authority and humility.  We were sharing stories of what we thought was holiness and a friend who is a funeral director shared this story:

Steve said as a funeral director, you get to meet a lot of people with different faiths.  His dad was a funeral director as well and shared this story with Steve.  The discussion between Steve’s dad and a minister who was not Catholic were discussing the presence of Jesus in the Eucharist (communion).  As Catholics, part of the mystery during communion is that the host and wine become the actual body and blood of Christ.  The minister told Steve’s dad that if he truly believed that, he wouldn’t be walking in procession to the front of the church to receive communion, he’d be on his hands and knees.

Personally, for many years, I have had some amazing experiences during these moments during the Eucharist.  There are times that the overwhelming presence of Jesus makes me feel like I should be on my hands and knees.  Other times, there is a flood of comfort that Jesus is with me, like a blanket covering me.

This passage has always been one of my favorites.  I actually had something different written for this post, but when I sat down to review what I had written and re-read this chapter, I returned to this scripture.

The time for me to write this came a day after I learned about the killing of Qassem Soleimani and there was a lot of talk going on all over the media.  But my first thought was that Jesus has the authority.  God is in control.

This same day I heard about a woman who learned she had stage 4 breast cancer and she wondered how it could be that far advanced without her knowledge.  Her friend really didn’t know what to say, but prayed for something to say and simply told her that she didn’t know why, but that God is sovereign.

That alone is something to celebrate.  The authority that God has over the entire world should bring us comfort – like the wrapping of a blanket.  We all need to recognize that we are in the presence of a King and approach Him in humility because He has the authority to change our lives.

You Might Also Like

0 comments