Jesus Prays {John 17}

9:30 AM

Today's Scripture Passage: John 17

“When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.” — ‭‭John‬ ‭17:1–3‬ ‭‬‬
 Do you remember hearing the story of Moses turning to check on a burning bush that was on fire, yet was not being consumed? The moment Moses turns and begins to walk towards the bush, God calls out to him and as soon as Moses answers, God says,“Do not come any closer,” God said. “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." ( Exodus 3:5). I get a sense this is our "holy ground' moment of the New Testament. 

We've often read about Jesus slipping away to go off and pray to His Father, we've seen Jesus pray short public prayers at times in the Scriptures, but here in chapter 17, we are given our first glimpse of a private moment between God the Father and God the Son. 

It's as though we've been given a front row seat to a precious moment between Father and Son just before Jesus is arrested, tried and crucified. 

Every time I come to chapter 17, I feel as though I need to treat this chapter with great reverence and respect. Jesus and our Father are about to go through the most horrific moments on behalf of each of us. They've anticipated this time since Adam and Eve were found in the garden. What was the greatest things on Jesus' mind at this moment? 

There is so much here in this chapter that I truly believe we could meditate on for at least a week and still find more we've overlooked, but for today, I'd like to leave you with a quick overview of seven things Jesus asks for from His Father before His final hours in this world, for I believe this is incredibly telling of who and what weigh heavy on Him just then.  

The Seven Requests Found in Jesus' Prayer:

1.) Jesus wants us to be one. 

"I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. (17:11)

2.) Jesus desires for us to be filled with joy!

“I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them." (17:13)

3.) Jesus asks that we remain in this world and not be taken out of it.

 "I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world." (17:14-15a)

4.) Jesus asks that we be protected from the evil one.

 "My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one." (17:15)

5.) Jesus asks that we would be sanctified (set apart) in the Truth. 

 "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth."  (17:19)

6.) Jesus wants us to be with Him. 

 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world." (17:24)

7.) Jesus desires for His love and His Spirit to reside inside each of us. 

 “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me.  I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.” (17:25-26)
Does it humble you to realize that in His final moments alone with His Father, knowing that He was about to face such incredible suffering, you were on His mind? So much so that He feels it's imperative at this moment to ask these things of the Father for you?

When I think of all this I I think of Paul's words here in Romans 11, 
Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and how inscrutable His ways!“For who has known the mind of the Lord,    or who has been His counselor?” “Or who has given a gift to Him    that he might be repaid?”For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be glory forever. Amen. (Rm 11:33-36)

Blessings!


sue 

You Might Also Like

0 comments