The Blessings ~ Psalm 112

7:00 AM

 Today’s Scripture: Psalm 112 &  Matt 26:64-66 and 1 Peter 3:18-22 again

Just this morning a reporter asked on social media why there are so many angry, middle aged, single, business women in this country. The discussion that ensued was not at all flattering, and I wish I had read this psalm prior to seeing that question, for here in this psalm is the solution to keep from becoming an angry, bitter woman - no matter your age, marital status, or job description.  

There have been a lot of books written on how to be successful in life, but I think God's Word contains all we need to be not only successful, but blessed! 

A
The psalm begins with, "Blessed is the man who fears the Lord [with awe-inspired reverence and worships Him with obedience],Who delights greatly in His commandments." (Psalm 112:1 AMP)

I chose the Amplified version so that we can all see that the word fear is more of an "awe-inspired reverence" for God and His word, for the one who will be blessed is one who not only is awed by God but takes delight in His word enough to follow what it says.  

Psalm 112 reminded me of how the Book of Psalms began in Psalm 1 and Psalm 2 in that the author would like to make a case for the benefits and blessings of following hard after God.  They all seem very similar and I've added the links if you'd like to do your own research, but for today, I thought it would be great to break down the blessings the writer lists for "the man [or woman] who fears the LORD. " 
 
1.) His decisions today, will not only impact him, but future generations!
His descendants/children will be mighty on earth;
The generation of the upright will be blessed.(v.2)
2.) He will experience wealth. Wealth and riches are in his house, (v.3a) I like to think this wealth is not only material wealth, but there is also great wealth found in a peaceful home engulfed in love. A peaceful heart - not anxious, but trusting. 
3.) Eternal life : And his righteousness endures forever. (v.3b)

4.) I found this commentary to explain verse 4, Light arises in the darkness for the upright;
.Upright ones are sometimes in the darkness of affliction, under divine desertions, without spiritual joy, and in an uncomfortable condition; when on a sudden light arises to them, like break of day, or the morning light: they have deliverance from affliction, and enjoy prosperity.

5.) He is compassionate to others,  and will be blessed; "Good will come to those who are generous and lend freely, who conduct their affairs with justice." (v.5) The godly also shows grace, mercy, and compassion towards one another, which are attributes of God.

6.) He will be able to stand firm and not waiver. One commentary added: "He shall not be moved for ever (v.6)— Though he may, for a season, be afflicted, yet he shall not be utterly and eternally destroyed, as wicked men shall be." 

Verse six also tells that our good reputation shall be precious and honorable, both with God and men. Don't we all want to leave a good and lasting legacy when we leave this life behind?

7.) No fears to face for they will be steadfast in their faith: "They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord." (v.7)

8.) Security without fears and in the end shall be triumphant: "Their hearts are secure, they will have no fear; in the end they will look in triumph on their foes" (v.8)

9.) They are generous and gracious "They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor, their righteousness endures forever; their horn will be lifted high in honor." (v.9)

Matthew Henry said this about Psalm 112: "Blessings are laid up for the faithful and their children's children; and true riches are bestowed on them, with as much of this world's possessions as is profitable for them. In the darkest hours of affliction and trial, the light of hope and peace will spring up within them, and seasonable relief shall turn mourning into joy. From their Lord's example they learn to be kind and full of compassion, as well as just in all their dealings; they use discretion, that they may be liberal in that manner which appears most likely to do good. Envy and slander may for a time hide their true characters here, but they shall be had in everlasting remembrance. They need not fear evil tidings. A good man shall have a settled spirit. And it is the endeavor of true believers to keep their minds stayed upon God, and so to keep them calm and undisturbed; and God has promised them both cause to do so, and grace to do so. Trusting in the Lord is the best and surest way of establishing the heart. 

But not so for those who choose not to fear God: "The wicked will see and be vexed, they will gnash their teeth and waste away; the longings of the wicked will come to nothing." (v.10) The saints happiness is to be  envied by the wicked, and their (wicked) desires will die with them, for they were wholly worldly, therefore when these perish, their joy is wiped out and is gone.

The author of Psalm 112 has made an excellent case as to why we are far better off to reverently fear God, which makes me wonder why many don't! Is it that they don't know, or simply don't care? Is the world and all it has to offer them that much more precious at this moment?

But, then I had to also ask myself :

_ Knowing all I know now, am I still chasing after the things of this world at times? Am I like Lot's wife where I tend to look back to the things of this world rather than consider myself dead to this world and sold out to Christ? 

_ Are other relationships more important to me than my relationship with the Lord? Have I placed others before Him? 

_ Am I shining a light for others to see and bringing others to a saving knowledge of our Lord? 

_ Have I forsaken all and wholly following Him each day? Am I storing up treasures in heaven rather than here on earth?

Let's pray:

O Father, You are awesome and mighty and  I pray that You might enable me to have such a grand vision of You that I might fear You, that I might tremble in Your presence. Help me to see that You’re not merely a Redeemer but also a Judge; not merely a God of love, but also of holiness. Help me to set you in Your rightful place in my life and heart. I ask that in my heart the things of this world will pale in comparison in all I've been promised because of all Your Son has done on my behalf. I pray that all I say and do would be pleasing in Your sight and bring you honor and glory You are worthy of. 

I also want to pray for _____ and ask that they might fear You just as a son or daughter fears a Father who both loves and disciplines—a Father who extends mercy but also judges. Above all, may they fear You because they love You and desire to seek to please You through Jesus Christ. May this fear of the Lord keep them running hard towards You and away from the things of this world. In Jesus name, Amen,

Blessing, 

Sue



You Might Also Like

0 comments