The Lord Is On My Side

3:00 PM


                        

Our Reading: Psalm 118 & 2 Cor 4:13-15, 1 Thess 4:13-18

 

Out of all of the promises that God makes, one of the most comforting in this life is to know that He promises to never leave us. No matter where we are or what is happening, He is there by our side.  The other day I left in a hurry to go pick up some groceries and I left my cell phone behind. There was a brief moment of panic and vulnerability that I felt when I first realized I was without means of getting in touch with someone in case of an emergency and then I calmed myself by realizing that I was not alone. God was with me. I remembered back to all of the times I had to travel remote and potentially dangerous places before cell phones were even an option. I don’t remember being uneasy back then. I just did what I had to do and trusted that God would be with me. And, when needs arose, there was always a solution or means of help provided. How comforting it was to ask for God’s protection and provision and rest at ease in knowing He was there. 


In this Psalm, the Psalmist proclaims the faithfulness of God to be by our side and He reminds us of why we can trust God to be there for us. Over and over, He emphasizes “His steadfast love endures forever!”  Whatever distresses us, we can ask for His help, which includes protection from enemies and potential harm against us. “Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free. The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? The Lord is on my side as my helper; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me. (v5‬-‭7‬)


When the Israelites were afraid to take the Promised Land, God assured them that they were not going into battle alone. He had promised them the land and He would protect them. But, the people had to trust. “It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed."” Deuteronomy‬ ‭31‬:‭8‬ 


‭‭Sometimes life pushes our limits and that can be a good thing because it makes us rely on Him. “I was pushed hard, so that I was falling, but the Lord helped me. The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.” (v13‬-‭14‬).Hardship can be a tool that God uses to mold us and prepare us to be used by Him. If you read through the Bible, you will find that God did not make life easy for His people but His hand of providence was always there. God often used very challenging circumstances to prepare the ones who would be faithful in trusting Him to serve in tasks that brought Him glory and honor.

“Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.” – C.S. Lewis


Because the Lord is with us and cares about our spiritual maturity, He disciplines us. It is not pleasant but it is a blessing nonetheless because it means that He loves us and is at work in our hearts. “The Lord has disciplined me severely, but he has not given me over to death. Open to me the gates of righteousness, that I may enter through them and give thanks to the Lord. “(v18‬-‭19‬).  When we feel His heavy hand of discipline, we know that we are His and He loves us enough to not let us remain in our current state. He presses us to greater maturity and a closer relationship with Him. Again, we can find countless stories where God orchestrated the chain of events in the lives of His people to bring about His purposes. “God has and always will remain faithful to His word. Even when my doubts and fears threaten to drown me as I thrash blindly against my Rescuer, He carries me to the other side. When fiery circumstances take my breath away, He hides me in the shelter of His wings. “- Author: Katherine J. Walden

 

In this Psalm, we have a foretelling of God’s provision for man’s salvation. Even when Adam disobeyed God, He loved mankind enough to provide Christ, “ the cornerstone “ of our eternal salvation. God did not give up on us then and He remains faithful. “This is the gate of the Lord; the righteous shall enter through it. I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation. The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone. This is the Lord's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.” (v 20-23).


How blessed we are, no matter what circumstances we must navigate in this life to know that God is by our side and has provided for our eternal destiny. Even when we must walk “seemingly alone” through the door of death, He promises to be with us. We can count on His love, His discipline, His provision, and we can count on spending eternity with Him. 


Reflection: 

  1. This Psalm tells us it is better to trust in God than man, or princes. What else in your life might be something you tend to put a lot of trust in other than Him?
  2. Have you ever had a circumstance where you felt alone or vulnerable and were comforted by the realization that God was there and taking care of you? 
  3. Can you imagine how truly lonely it must be when an atheist faces death without the Lord? Does it burden your heart to pray for others and share your faith? 


Prayer: Father, how grateful we are that we are never alone for You are always there for us. You carry us through the ups and downs of this life, with guidance and provision for our needs. You are always at work to conform us to the likeness of Jesus and always acting on our behalf out of deep and profound love. We praise You for the security of our salvation,and the peace of knowing that You will even walk with us through earthly death and carry us into eternal glory with You. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments