Love and Delight for His Word- Psalm 119

5:30 PM

 




Today’s reading:

Psalm 119: v.1-64- Exodus 34:6-7 and Hebrews 10:7-10; v. 65-128- Prov.30:5 and

1 Thess. 5:16-18; v. 129-176 -John 17:17 and Acts 24:14-16       

 Wow, I am so excited to be able to share my findings of this amazing Psalm, for it is very special to me!

There is no certainty who wrote Psalm 119, but it is said it is a psalm of David, which he wrote throughout his entire life. Other modern commentators conclude that it was written after the exile from the days of Nehemiah, Ezra or Daniel. But whoever the author was, it is believed that it was written over some period of time and later compiled, because there is not a definite flow of thought from the beginning of the psalm to the end.

“Since this is a psalm glorifying God and His word, it refers to Scripture over and over again. Psalm 119 is remarkable for how often it refers to God’s written revelation, His word. It is referred to in almost every verse. The Masoretes (a group of Jewish scholars between the 6th and 10th centuries AD) said that the word of God is mentioned in every verse except Psalm 119:122. Other people analyze this differently (with disagreement about Psalm 119:8490121132). But Scripture is mentioned in at least 171 of the 176 verses.” (David Guzik- Enduring Word) 

This is the longest Psalm (also the longest chapter in the Bible), and it is arranged in an acrostic pattern. There are 22 letters in the Hebrew alphabet, and this psalm contains 22 units of 8 verses each. Each of the 22 sections is given a letter of the Hebrew alphabet, (each letter is represented by a picture with a biblical concept) and each line in that section begins with that letter.

 

Here is an example of this Alphabetical arrangement beginning with the first letter = Aleph = the symbol of an ox (א) = wealth or prosperity. That is: “The Lord is my wealth”:

“Origen says it is alphabetical because it contains the elements or principles of all knowledge and wisdom; and that it repeats each letter eight times, because eight is the number of perfection. That the unlearned reader may understand what is meant by the Psalm being alphabetical, we append the following specimen upon the section.

א Aleph:

A blessing is on them that are undefiled in the way
    and walk in the law of Jehovah;
A blessing is on them that keep his testimonies,
     and seek him with their whole heart;
AIs on them that do no wickedness,
    but walk in his ways.
A law hast thou given unto us,
    that we should diligently keep thy commandments.
Ah! Lord, that my ways were made so direct
    that I might keep thy statutes!
And then shall I not be confounded.
    While I have respect unto all thy commandments.
As for me, I will thank thee with an unfeigned heart,
    when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
An eye will I have unto thy ceremonies,
    O forsake me not utterly. ("The Psalms Chronologically Arranged By Four Friends". 1867.)


I can still remember my first approach to this amazing Psalm, especially these first verses from Aleph: I had just surrendered my life to Jesus –in my early twenties- and my mentor and her daughter (my best friend who had prayed for my salvation for many years), we met very early on that spring morning and drove to the countryside for a prayer- pic-nick and after starting off with prayer my mentor told us to open our Bible to Psalm 119 and we would take turns reading it, and meditating on it. Wow that was the most magnificent experience for me! The early birds singing, the smell of the fresh grass and flowers that surrounded us, it was like a picture frame to our devotional! What a way to dedicate our morning to our Abba, and how He spoke back to us with His Word through this Psalm! That day I made this vow to my Lord:

You have ordained Your precepts, That we should follow them with [careful] diligence.Oh, that my ways may be established to observe and keep Your statutes [obediently accepting and honoring them]! ... I shall keep Your statutes; Do not utterly abandon me [when I fail].” (119:4-5,8 AMP)

I would recommend you take the time to read this Psalm as a devotional, reading up to 3 segments a day (24 verses), so you can really meditate and delight in it! I also found that the New International Translation uses the Hebrew alphabet as well as its symbol at the beginning of each segment. Here are more commentaries on Psalm 119:

“This sacred ode is a little Bible, the Scriptures condensed, a mass of Bibline, Holy Writ rewritten in holy emotions and actions. Blessed are they who can read and understand these saintly aphorisms; they shall find golden apples in this true Hesperides, and come to reckon that this Psalm, like the whole Scripture which it praises, is a pearl island, or, better still, a garden of sweet flowers.” (C.H. Spurgeon)

“The Psalm is made up of three things,—(a) prayers, (b) praises, (c) protestations. Prayers to God; praises of God; protestations unto God.” (Rev. W. Simmons, in a sermon in the "Morning Exercises," 1661)

-Is there a verse(s) of this Psalm that is of special significance to you? And if so, would you mind sharing it with us?

Let us pray:

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Saving Grace through the Sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is the Living Word, and He lives in us and is revealed to us on every page of the Bible. He declared that: “It is written and forever remains written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes out of the mouth of God.’ (Matt. 4:4), and we thank you that: 89 Your word, Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.
90 Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures. 91 Your laws endure to this day, for all things serve you. (119:89-91 NLT) I rejoice and delight in Your Word for: 105 Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. 106 I have taken an oath and confirmed it, that I will follow your righteous laws. 107 I have suffered much; preserve my life, Lord, according to your word. 108 Accept, Lord, the willing praise of my mouth, 
and teach me your laws.” (119:105-108 NIV). Amen!

Blessings,

Mari

 

 



 

You Might Also Like

0 comments