The Lord Reigns

4:00 PM




‭‭Our Reading: Psalm‬ ‭93‬ & Isaiah 53:10


I want you to close your eyes and think about God. What image comes to mind? What characteristics do you give Him? How would you describe the One you have never physically laid eyes on? How would you describe Him to an inquiring child? We probably would not all have the same perspective or answer to this question but  hopefully our perspective would focus on the attributes revealed to us in His Word. 

I love how this Psalm is brief but paints such a vivid image of God as a strong ruler. 

“The Lord reigns; he is robed in majesty; the Lord is robed; he has put on strength as his belt.” v1

As a nation, we look to our leaders to be strong and protect us from the threats of being invaded or exploited by other countries. Likewise, when we feel weak and vulnerable, we need to know that we can turn to a strong God. We want to know that we can feel secure and protected against physical as well as spiritual threats. God’s Word reminds us that we serve such a God and that not only do we have His strength to lean on but He can impart strength to us. 

 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10


The Psalmist also describes God’s eternal existence and absolute control over every circumstance and outcome. 

“Yes, the world is established; it shall never be moved. Your throne is established from of old; you are from everlasting.” v1-2

Some teach that God does not have control over the current circumstances of this world and is dependent upon man’s actions and behaviors to bring about His will. But, God’s Word does not teach this. In fact, it teaches quite the opposite. God is very much in control and not dependent upon man. 

 “Yours, Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours.  Yours, Lord, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all.” 1 Chronicles 29:11


 “I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God.  I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting people may know there is none besides me.  I am the Lord, and there is no other.  I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the Lord, do all these things.  “Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.  By myself I have sworn, my mouth has uttered in all integrity a word that will not be revoked: Before me every knee will bow; by me every tongue will swear.  They will say of me, ‘In the Lord alone are deliverance and strength.’” Isaiah 45:5-7,22-24


What a mighty God we serve! Although it can be hard to fully fathom such a majestic being as the God of the Universe,  there is no doubt that God invites us to know Him and wants us to make Him known.

By studying His Word and growing in relationship with Him, He reveals more and more of Himself to us. There are many words used to describe Him such as the 

words found in this list: https://richardharringtonblog.com/words-to-describe-god/

God reveals himself to us in our individual and unique spiritual journey as well. But, ultimately, He reveals Himself to us through Jesus.

“Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him."” John‬ ‭14‬:‭6‬-‭7‬ ‭


Prayer:

Father, we are grateful that we serve a mighty and strong ruler who wants to strengthen and protect us. We pray that as time passes, we will grow in our knowledge and understanding of who You are and to know Your truth. We pray that we will be able to pass on to others our knowledge of You through our words, our actions and our journey of faith. We pray that others would see their need for You before it is too late.

You Might Also Like

0 comments