A Sense of Belonging ~ Psalm 87

9:00 AM

Today's Reading: Psalm 87 & Ephesians 3:4-6



This psalm is among the psalms which are often called Psalms of Zion -Psalms that describe the importance and the glory of Jerusalem, the city of God. 

As we read Psalm 87 our first inclination may be to look back, but actually the goal of the psalm is to encourage us to look forward! The psalmist is not only reminding us of a city that was, but of a city that is to come. It’s a reminder that God established Jerusalem and there is a sense in which His plan for this city is not yet complete. The psalmist is encouraging us to look forward to a future city where God will once again dwell with His people and there will be great rejoicing!

As the psalm begins we are reminded of the historic city of Jerusalem. A city founded by God as the place where He would dwell among His people. This city was established by God’s plan and served as the center of life and faith for His people

 The psalm also points us toward God’s future plans for Jerusalem, where one-day Jesus will reign as king of all the earth from His throne in Jerusalem (Psalm 110:1; Isaiah 2:1-3). We are to look forward to Christ’s future reign in the earthly Jerusalem (Millennium) as well as His eternal reign in the New Jerusalem. 

Actually, throughout the New Testament we are told that the people of God are and should be looking forward to the city of God that is to come. As those who are in Christ we are already in some sense citizens of this city and we look forward to the time when we enter that city and live together in God's presence (Philippians 3:20; Hebrews 11:10; 13:14; 12:22).

It's cool to see the psalmist is foretelling in verses 4-6 that God’s plan of salvation will extends beyond the people of Israel. God’s plan was always to save people from every tribe, tongue and nation.

As I read and meditated on this psalm in order to write on it, I had to first marvel that these Psalmists are excited about something that is far off in the future. Their focus isn't on their circumstances at the moment, but on something that will happen long after they are gone, and it caused me to wonder just how much of my focus is on that day and how much am I focused on the circumstances of today! Am I living today for that day? If so, what percentage of my day, each day am I yearning for and focused on that day? 

Am I excited for the promises to come, or is my primary focus on this day and the next?  The psalm which ends with the people singing and dancing as they think about God’s city and their citizenship. Their hope and joy are for a life yet to come in this city (God's presence), and I admit I became convinced that I'm often. far  too often, focused on today, when I truly want to live today for that day.

Reflect:

_ Are you living each day with that day in mind? 

_How might you be clinging too tightly to your home here on earth? 

_How can you show others that your true home is with God this year?

Prayer: Heavenly Father, I often get caught up in this world, this time, this life. I forget that You have far better things planned for me, and that You've prepared a place for me which supersedes anything I can imagine. When I become too focused on the here and now, remind me that I am first and foremost Your child, Your heir and a citizen of Your kingdom. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Blessings,

Sue


You Might Also Like

0 comments