God’s Promises: Esther

11:30 AM



Although God is not specifically mentioned in the book of Esther, the story is a beautiful testimony to His sovereign reign and His ability to alter the chain of events so that good triumphs over evil. Even a dark day of foreboding doom is not impossible for God to overturn.  The Jewish nation faced such a day of foreboding doom. 

Letters were sent by couriers to all the king's provinces with instruction to destroy, to kill, and to annihilate all Jews, young and old, women and children, in one day, the thirteenth day of the twelfth month, which is the month of Adar, and to plunder their goods.”Esther‬ ‭3:13‬ ‭


But Mordecai, the uncle of Queen Esther trusted God’s Word and God’s Promises. It was because he wouldn’t pay homage to Haman , the King’s second in command that Haman had plotted to destroy him and also the entire Jewish nation. The reason Mordecai would not worship Haman is because Haman was a descendent of King Agag and the Amalekites were the enemies of God. Mordecai honored God vs man. Mordecai trusted that God could save him and his family and so he asked Esther to also take a stand of faith even though it could mean her very life. It’s also important to note that Mordecai believed in God’s promises to save the nation of Israel so much that he was convinced even if that day of doom prevailed, God would still find a way to save Israel. 

“Then Mordecai told them to reply to Esther, "Do not think to yourself that in the king's palace you will escape any more than all the other Jews. For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"”  Esther‬ ‭4:13-14‬ ‭


And yes, Esther had indeed come to the kingdom “ for such a time as this”. God , in full control of all of the events of the future used Esther in a pivotal role of perfectly orchestrated providence. Because Esther risked her life to approach the King, she was able to gain the King’s promise of protection for her people, the Jews and Haman’s evil intentions were exposed. Esther had also been the one to warn the king when Mordecai discovered a plot against his life. That account was one of many recorded in the King’s book of Chronicles but it was the very night before Haman planned to ask for Mordecai to be hanged that the King read that account and because of this, the stage was set to foil every plot of Satan against God’s people. God turned the tide and reversed all of the chain of events that had been in motion. Esther was able to see how her faith and love for her people was used for God’s glory! 


Haman thought he was devising his own ceremonial procession but instead had to honor Mordecai by leading him through the streets of the kingdom.

Haman built a prominent gallows for Mordecai but was hanged there himself. 

Mordecai who was targeted by Haman  for annihilation became the King’s replacement for Haman and was 2nd in power. 

The King overturned the day of doom and allowed the Israelites to defend themselves and be protected. The day of doom became a day of praise and celebration.


Esther’s story should encourage each of us to remember that even in the darkest of times, God is still in control and will honor those who trust Him instead of man. God promises to never forsake us.


Let those who fear the Lord say, "His steadfast love endures forever." Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free. The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? The Lord is on my side as my helper; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes.” Psalm‬ ‭118:4-9‬ 


“The Lord's curse is on the house of the wicked, but he blesses the dwelling of the righteous. Toward the scorners he is scornful, but to the humble he gives favor. The wise will inherit honor, but fools get disgrace.”  Proverbs‬ ‭3:33-35‬ 


“You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book? Then my enemies will turn back in the day when I call. This I know, that God is for me. In God, whose word I praise, in the Lord, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me? I must perform my vows to you, O God; I will render thank offerings to you. For you have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.”

‭‭Psalm‬ ‭56:8-13‬ ‭

You Might Also Like

0 comments