God’s Promises: Ruth and Naomi

4:30 PM




Many focus on Ruth in this beautiful story of redemption but I want to focus on Naomi and how God wrapped her in loving arms of provision and took care of her through His promises and divine mercy. 


At the beginning of this story we see a defeated Naomi who has lost what she was counting on for joy. With the death of her husband and two sons, she doesn’t see any hope for her future.  No children, no grandchildren, no one to carry on her family heritage or provide for her.  She basically tells Ruth that she is throwing away her life if she journeys with her back to the land of Judah. 


“But Naomi said, “Return home, my daughters. Why would you come with me? Am I going to have any more sons, who could become your husbands?”  Ruth‬ ‭1:11‬ ‭


She was looking so deep into the well of self pity and despair that she thought God had abandoned her and turned his back on her.

“…the Lord’s hand has turned against me!””  Ruth‬ ‭1:13‬

“”Don’t call me Naomi,” she told them. “Call me Mara, because the Almighty has made my life very bitter. I went away full, but the Lord has brought me back empty. Why call me Naomi? The Lord has afflicted me; the Almighty has brought misfortune upon me.”” Ruth‬ ‭1:20-21‬. [Naomi means “pleasantness”]


It may indeed, in that dark moment in time have looked like Naomi’s future would hold only sadness and sorrow. But, God had other plans and God was surely looking after Naomi and Ruth. God would redeem the circumstances of Naomi’s life …in fact, He already had a redeemer in place.

“Now Naomi had a relative on her husband’s side, a man of standing from the clan of Elimelek, whose name was Boaz.”  Ruth‬ ‭2:1‬ 


This kinsman redeemer did not just follow the Law in providing the minimums for Naomi that were his obligation to her but he embodied the heart of the law and extended genuine love and compassion to Naomi and also to Ruth because he admired and honored her love and sacrifices for Naomi. 

“May the Lord repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge.””  Ruth‬ ‭2:12‬ 

He made sure Ruth had extra and also protection and In providing for Ruth, Naomi’s provision was always his concern as well.  “and added, “He gave me these six measures of barley, saying, ‘Don’t go back to your mother-in-law empty-handed.’ ””  Ruth‬ ‭3:17‬ ‭


This story that starts out so sad and hopeless has such a beautiful transformation. Boaz becomes the kinsman redeemer who changes the outcome from tragedy to blessing. God blessed Ruth with the provision of a loving, kindhearted, reputable husband but he blessed Naomi as well..it is her joy and happiness that is emphasized in the union of Ruth and Boaz. “The women said to Naomi: “Praise be to the Lord, who this day has not left you without a guardian-redeemer. May he become famous throughout Israel! He will renew your life and sustain you in your old age. For your daughter-in-law, who loves you and who is better to you than seven sons, has given him birth.” Then Naomi took the child in her arms and cared for him. The women living there said, “Naomi has a son!” And they named him Obed. He was the father of Jesse, the father of David.”  Ruth‬ ‭4:14-17‬


God cared about Naomi and had not abandoned her in her time of sorrow and heartache. He cares about us the same and promises to give our sorrow purpose and to redeem our lives for His glory. Just as Boaz redeemed Naomi and Ruth from their physical destitution, Jesus redeems us from our spiritual destitution and offers us hope and an eternal future. 


“You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent. Lord my God, I will praise you forever.”  Psalms‬ ‭30:11-12‬ ‭


“Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.” Psalms‬ ‭43:5‬ ‭


““I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.””  John‬ ‭16:33‬ ‭


“and those the Lord has rescued will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.”  Isaiah‬ ‭35:10‬ ‭


“‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”  Revelation‬ ‭21:4‬ ‭


Reflection: 

  1. When life is full of sorrow and loss do you feel as Naomi did, that God is against you?
  2. Do you believe that God can transform your sorrow into joy?
  3. Do you know Christ as your Redeemer?  This is a great resource for more info on What is a Kinsman Redeemer.

https://www.biblegateway.com/devotionals/quest-bible/0238/07/16?interface=print


You Might Also Like

0 comments