Weathering the Storms (Matthew 7)

11:30 AM





Matthew 7


A few weeks ago, there was an unusual amount of rainfall and flooding in the area where I live. Many of the people in my community had to deal with flooding, including flooded basements, downed trees, debris and potential landslides. I saw the results of the storms, including a river that flooded its banks visible from my back porch. I was never very concerned, however, with my own property because of some of the the features of my home. I live in the foothills of the mountains and my home is built up on a high cliff so I don’t have to worry about how high the river floods. In case of strong winds, I have a basement built with 1/2 of it embedded into the hill. When storms are on the horizon, it’s certainly comforting to know I have these safeguards. 


In Matthew 7, Jesus compares our lives to a home built with similar provisions and protections.  ““Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.” (24-25). This comparison really resonates with me as I think about this chaotic, stormy 2020 year. 


Notice that the wise man didn’t build his house on the rock to prevent the storms but to withstand the storms that were likely to come. Jesus warned us that we would have spiritual storms in our life....guaranteed. ““I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”” (John‬ ‭16:33‬). He wants us to have the wisdom of being prepared to weather these storms and to draw upon Him in our time of need. 

Jesus gives us 2 keys to wisdom and both are required to unlock his protective empowerment in our lives. 

  1. Hear His Words - We need to prioritize time and make opportunity to be in His Word. The world we are living in today is full of uncertainty, chaos, fear and certainly spiritual darkness.  We wouldn’t go out in the dark of night without a light to see. “Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path”Psalms 119:105
  2. Put His Words Into Practice - What good is the lamp in the dark of the storm if we don’t use it?  “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” (James‬ ‭1:22‬)

We all will have our storms to face. The rains will come down, the streams will rise, the winds will blow and beat upon us. Ask yourself how you have been weathering the storms so far. Perhaps you are in the midst of a storm now or perhaps you are in the calm before the storm. Ask yourself this. Are you like the wise man who is spiritually prepared to withstand such destructive forces or are you like the foolish man who will be swept away? Do you have His light to guide you through the darkness? If you don’t feel prepared, don’t waste any time. Make sure you have the peace that comes from building your home on the right foundation. 


“You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.” (Isaiah‬ ‭26:3-4‬)

You Might Also Like

0 comments