WALKING IN WISDOM- JESUS CALMS OUR STORMS (MATTHEW 8)

8:00 PM

 
Today´s scripture: Matthew 8

Wow, in this chapter Matthew writes about many miraculous events! I was a bit overwhelmed as I was getting ready to write today´s post, because each one these are so unique! Jesus not only poured His loving healing power over the lives of those He healed, but over the lives of those who heard of these miracles, too!

-The healing of the leper  (8:1-4 )

-The healing of the centurion's servant (8:5-13)

-The healing of Peter's wife's mother (8:14-15)

-The healing of all the sick who were brought to the doors at evening time (8:16-17).

-The miracle of calming the storm which threatened their lives on the Sea of Galilee. (8:23-27)

-There is the healing of the two demon possessed men. (8:28-34)

What grabbed my attention is that the disciples had witnessed all of Jesus´ first miracles, since they decided to follow Him (4:23-24), and before they experienced the storm they were in and I wondered: why were they so afraid? I mean they had seen Jesus perform all those healings… such miracles they had never thought to witness or experience!  Shouldn’t  they  have felt confident nothing would happen to them, if Jesus was with them? But no, they were actually afraid to die!

 24 And suddenly a violent storm arose on the sea, so that the boat was being covered by the waves; but Jesus was sleeping. 25 And the disciples went and woke Him, saying, “Lord, save us, we are going to die!” 26 He said to them, “Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?”  Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was [at once] a great and wonderful calm [a perfect peacefulness]. “ (8:24-26)

As I tried to put myself in their place, I sadly realized I would have probably reacted the same way, especially as I look back at all the difficulties and the struggles I´ve experienced throughout this year! I knew Jesus was with me all this time, but there were moments when my faith waivered!

I like how C. H. Spurgeon explains this:

“They did not know their Lord yet; nor do we. Perhaps we have to go to sea to learn more of him, I mean that troubles and trials of a greater sort than we have known before may yet have to come to be our schoolmasters to teach us what Jesus is. “They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.” You landsmen are thankful for your quiet, but you do not see so much of Jesus as others of his disciples do, you must go to sea to be able to cry, “What manner of man is this?” C. H. Spurgeon

Yes, this is so true! Each one of the people who were healed in this chapter, were going through a terrible storm themselves, too! They needed a miracle, they heard about Jesus and they came to Him, believing He would heal them, and He did!

In the presence of Jesus our storms will turn to peace! And if He rebuked the winds and the sea for the sake of the disciples then, He can do it again in our lives, too for:

Jesus Christ is [eternally changeless, always] the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8 Amp)

Mari

(I am including this link. I hope thus song blesses you - Famous For-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USorGnKamks




You Might Also Like

0 comments