Sacrifice? What exactly does that mean? {Philippians 2}

12:00 PM


What immediately comes to mind when you think of the word sacrifice? How about a sweet calm demeanor, or inexplicable joy!? Are you drawn to rejoicing; jumping for joy when you think of having to make sacrifices?

If you're anything like me, your answer will be, "No. In fact, quite the opposite!" Doesn't the world entice us to "have it all"? Which is why I found it odd that Paul includes the word, rejoice in the same sentence as, sacrifice. 


Have you ever wondered what exactly Paul meant by, "drink offering"? And being, "poured out"? I thought this offered a pretty good explanation:
" What we do know is that the pouring out of a drink offering is a metaphor for the blood Jesus spilled on the cross. Jesus spoke to this directly in Luke 22:20 when He instituted the New Covenant. He picked up a cup of wine and said, “This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.” Jesus’ sacrifice fulfilled the need of a drink offering, His blood literally pouring out when the soldier pierced His side with a spear (John 19:34).Paul took the metaphor further, twice using the image of a drink offering to describe his own service. In Philippians 2:17, he challenged the church in Philippi to live a life worthy of his dedication to them." -Got Questions 
Okay, but what about the joy we are to experience when living a life dedicated to God? A joy that would cause Jesus to endure the cross.


My answer came when I reread The Practice of the Presence of God over the summer. (A Link to a free copy of entire book is below for you to download if you like.)

Bro. Lawrence describes sacrifice this way :
I "resolve to give the all for the All: so after having given myself wholly to GOD, to make all the satisfaction I could for my sins, I renounced, for the love of Him, everything that was not He; and I began to live as if there was none but He and I in the world. Sometimes I considered myself before Him as a poor criminal at the feet of his judge; at other times I beheld Him in my heart as my FATHER, as my GOD: I worshipped Him the oftenest that I could, keeping my mind in His holy Presence, and recalling it as often as I found it wandered from Him." 

The joy comes from walking with God as though nothing else in this world matters. Jesus, Paul and Brother Lawrence all joyously laid down everything this life had to offer for the precious moments spent in The Father's presence. Oh, to be able to be able to experience all these men experience! I'll admit I'm not there quite yet, for there is still too much of the world in me, but I can say I've experienced glimpses recently, and the joy is inexpressible! It's as though God's Spirit comes through like the winds of a hurricane, yet in the center of His will there is His peace! Overwhelming peace that makes you want to pause to take in all the blessings you've just experienced!!

The good news is, this is an attainable goal for all of us. Look what the author had to say about Bro. Lawrence and imagine someone writing this about you one day:

"As Bro. Lawrence had found such an advantage in walking in the presence of GOD, it was natural for him to recommend it earnestly to others; but his example was a stronger inducement than any arguments he could propose. His very countenance was edifying; such a sweet and calm devotion appearing in it, as could not but affect the beholders. And it was observed, that in the greatest hurry of business in the kitchen, he still preserved his recollection and heavenly-mindedness. He was never hasty nor loitering, but did each thing in its season, with an even uninterrupted composure and tranquility of spirit. “The time of business,” said he, “does not with me differ from the time of prayer; and in the noise and clutter of my kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I possess GOD in as great tranquility as if I were upon my knees at the Blessed Sacrament.”

I pray you and I experience the joy of being wholly surrendered and poured out for our Lord this side of heaven!

Blessings!
sue

Here is a link to a free PDF file of Bro. Lawrence's book:
The Practice of the Presence of God 

You Might Also Like

0 comments