An acceptable Sacrifice (Romans 12)

10:00 PM



Please read: Romans12

The first approach I had to Romans chapter 12, made me realize there were “some things” I needed to change to become a better person.  I was in my early 20’s and I had decided I there was more than just going to church every Sunday.  So I decided that by reading this chapter every single night, I’d get to learn it by heart and eventually I’d be “magically” transformed. (LOL) The first two verses were difficult to understand, but the rest were easier to me, so I tried hard for a few weeks to read and keep up the good works, but over the time I forgot “my good intentions”.  Little did I know our Heavenly Father did take this seriously and over the years a good friend of mine ministered to me about God’s plan of Redemption  through Jesus’ Perfect Sacrifice on the cross for “my personal sins”, (Heb. 9:11-22) and  that His salvation is by Grace, not by my efforts or my works! (Ephesians 2:8-9)


Once I surrendered my life to Jesus, then and only then, and by His Holy Spirit is when I came to comprehend the meaning of Romans 12:1-2
“(1) Therefore I urge you, [b]brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies [dedicating all of yourselves, set apart] as a living sacrifice, holy and well-pleasing to God, which is your rational (logical, intelligent) act of worship”
“(2) And do not be conformed to this world [any longer with its superficial values and customs], but be [c]transformed and progressively changed [as you mature spiritually] by the renewing of your mind [focusing on godly values and ethical attitudes], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His plan and purpose for you].”

In the first verse Paul is asking… begging us, to dedicate ourselves to God, to live a certain way, because of His mercies towards us:

· He has Justified us from the guilt and penalty of sin (Ro.3:24.)
· He has Adopted us in Jesus and identified us with Christ (Eph.3:20, Gal.3:26).
· He has Placed us under grace, not law (Ro.6:14).
· He has given us the Holy Spirit to dwell in us (1 John 4:13, 2 Cor. 1:22)
· He has Promised us His help in all affliction (Is. 40:31, Psalm 119:50; Heb. 13:5)
· He has given us the Confidence of coming glory (1John 1:28); the Confidence of no separation from the love of God (Ro.8: 31-39) and the Confidence in God’s continued faithfulness! (Deut.7:9, 2 Tim.2:13, 2 Thes.3:3, 1John1:9)

These are just to list a few of His great Mercies!
In the Old Testament the sacrifice of an animal was reasonable service, but only for the one bringing the sacrifice – not for the sacrifice itself. Under the New Covenant we have far greater mercies, so it is reasonable to offer a far greater sacrifice.  (David Guzik)(Lev. 1:10, Deut. 15:21)
When we dedicate ourselves to God as a “living and acceptable sacrifice”, we should do it as an act of intelligent worship… an act of a deliberate decision to yield our entire self to Him. 



In Romans 2:2, we are urged to “not be conformed to this world”, because the thinking of our age is based on feelings for in this age we are told “that our body must tell the will what to do; but the Bible says that our will must bring the body as a living sacrifice to God. The body is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. Keeping it at God’s altar as a living sacrifice keeps the body where it should be.” (David Guzik)

“The great enemy to this renewal is conformity to this world .The work of the Holy Ghost first begins in the understanding, and is carried on to the will, affections, and conversation, till there is a change of the whole man into the likeness of God, in knowledge, righteousness, and true holiness. Thus, to be godly, is to give up ourselves to God.” (Matthew Henry)

Paul in this second verse explains how we should live out the will of God:
· Keep in mind the rich mercy of God to you – past, present, and future (by the mercies of God)
· As an act of intelligent worship, decide to yield your entire self to Him (present your bodies a living sacrifice)
· Resist conformity to the thoughts and actions of this world (do not be conformed)
· By focus on God’s word and fellowship with Him (be transformed by the renewing of your mind)
Then, your life will be in the will of God. Your life will prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God, only through the transforming work of the Holy Spirit.

Heavenly Father, forgive me for forgetting that it’s all about you, and your Perfect Plans and Purpose in my life. I offer myself as a living sacrifice to You. Use me as as You WilI. In Jesus’ Name. Amen

Blessings,
Mari

You Might Also Like

0 comments