When You Pray...

9:00 AM


 
 "When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to pray [publicly] standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets so that they may be seen by men. I assure you and most solemnly say to you, they [already] have their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your most private room, close the door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees [what is done] in secret will reward you. “And when you pray, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. So do not be like themfor your Father knows what you need before you ask Him." - Matthew 6:5-8

Why pray in secret? 

Why is it important to pray in secret?  Why is Jesus careful to add that when we pray we should seek a secluded place and shut the door behind us?

As I thought about that, I thought of the children's book called, The Secret Garden by, Frances Hodgson Burnett. The story is about two children who are transformed from being weak, sickly, and friendless to physically and emotionally healthy children in the garden, and I thought perhaps F.H. Burnett might be onto something here. Just like the children in the garden, our souls can be transformed by our time in secret prayer.   

 Secret prayer is simply a term used to described our time in prayer alone with God.

 Psalm 91 has much to say about dwelling in the secret place of the Most High, 

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.”

 I'd love to encourage you to spend some time reading over Psalm 91, for I believe here Moses, who walked so incredibly close to God while here on earth, is encouraging us that if we truly wish to grow deeper in our walk with The Lord it will be through our time spent in the "secret place of the Most High."

Here are a few benefits I believe Psalm 91 highlights for us to encourage us to spend time with our Father in prayer:

1. R-e-s-t! 

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.(V. 1)

Not so much for our physical bodies, but our minds and anxious thoughts. Are you like me in that I can keep mulling things over and over in my mind until I finally have to say, "Enough!" and give it over to God. I have also found writing out my prayers very helpful, for it seems once I can set it down on paper before Him, I can leave it there with Him and rest.  

2. Protection

 “He is my refuge and my fortress my God, in whom I trust.” Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. (vs. 2-4)

3. Freedom from Fear

You will not fear the terror of night, nor ... (add what you'd like here)

What is it that keeps you awake in the night? I find it is usually things I have no control over, and that is the case with you as well, let's give it all over to The One who is able to speak peace to our hearts. 

4. Blessings  
“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.

With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.” (vs. 14-16)

I've given you my top 4, and there are so many more, trust me, but I wanted to encourage you a bit before I close. 

If you struggle to make time to spend time alone with God, I want you to do this one very important thing... confess it! Share your heart with Him and then give the responsibility to meet together each and everyday over to Him! After all, He desires to meet with you just as much, if not more and He cannot fail, so make it His responsibility to provide time for the two of you to meet in your secret place.  

Out of my frustration with my own failures, I did this very thing long ago and since, each morning, I sense The Lord calling, "Come away with Me, My beloved and enjoy some precious time together..."

Blessings!

Sue

You Might Also Like

0 comments