Suffering For Christ.

11:00 AM



It’s hard to consider suffering a blessing. But for the Christian, suffering is God’s “refining fire” that burns away the impurities of our flesh nature and produces in us a new nature, reflective of the purity of Christ. Those who suffer on behalf of Christ do so because they have a unique perspective.  They are focused on the eternal instead of the temporal, they value God’s opinion more than the opinion of mere man,and they know that if God allows suffering, it is to serve the higher purpose of His will. God promises that such suffering has eternal merit and reward.


Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. 

Matthew 5:11-12


If we are submissive to His will He will give us the strength and resources to endure whatever circumstances He allows into our lives. He wants us to trust even when we don’t understand and even when the challenges push us to our utter limits. He wants us to depend completely on Him and trust that He has a higher purpose. 


Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.  2 Corinthians 4:16-18


Reflection: What is your perspective on suffering? Do you think the Christian life should be easy and trouble free? Does suffering draw you into the supporting arms of God or does suffering push you away from God? Do you trust Him even when life is hard? 


 “A Creed for Those Who’ve Suffered”

I asked God for strength that I might achieve;

I was made weak that I might learn to obey.

I asked for health that I might do greater things;

I was given infirmity that I might do better things.

I asked for riches that I might be happy;

I was given poverty that I might be wise.

I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;

I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;

I was given life that I might enjoy all things.

I am, among all men, richly blessed.

My prayers were answered. (Author unknown)

You Might Also Like

0 comments