GROWING IN OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD- MEDITATE, CONSIDER IT ALL AND DON’T LOSE HEART! (Hebrews 12:1-3)

8:00 PM

 

A few days ago I was chatting with one of my daughters regarding the statistics on the rising numbers of mental depression since the Pandemic of Covid-19. What troubled my daughter was that this emotional issue was also rising among fellow Christians. “How can this happen?", "Why are some Christians losing hope?”- she asked.

The Lord brought to my mind those dark days and years (almost 13 years) when I struggled with a severe Psoriasis on both of my hands. My hands on the best days would only itch with a burning sensation. On the worse days the skin would break and bleed and sometimes would even suffer from infections. Through endless and expensive Doctor’s appointments and medications, I would obtain partial relief… But apparently there was no cure for this. In my despair during those painful nights I would turn to the Bible. There in my quiet time and by reading the book of Job over and over, and through the encouragement of some Psalms, His Word would give me the hope and Faith I needed to keep my life going in the best way possible. I had two little daughters and my husband who needed me! His Loving kindness and the gratefulness of having my family with me gave me hope to go on: “to fight for joy” (John Piper)  in the midst of suffering”… to wait and to trust that one day He would heal me! And He did!! Even though I still have this autoimmune disease, I have never suffered from my hands anymore! 

In today’s scripture we find the encouragement we all need to thrive in our Faith. If we first read Hebrews 11, we will find the names of some of the Heroes of The Bible. God’s people who like you and me faced many afflictions. And in Romans 15:4 we find these amazing words of comfort:  “For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope and overflow with confidence in His promises.”

In Hebrews 12:1-2 we read:

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of [a]witnesses [who by faith have testified to the truth of God’s absolute faithfulness], stripping off every unnecessary weight and the sin which so easily and cleverly entangles us, let us run with endurance and active persistence the race that is set before us, [looking away from all that will distract us and] focusing our eyes on Jesus, who is the Author and Perfecter of faith [the first incentive for our belief and the One who brings our faith to maturity], who for the joy [of accomplishing the goal] set before Him endured the cross, [b]disregarding the shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God [revealing His deity, His authority, and the completion of His work].

In the first line the author mentions that: “…we are surrounded by so great a cloud of [a]witnesses [who by faith have testified to the truth of God’s absolute faithfulness]”

 Yes, we are not alone in our trials and sufferings! Just look around you!

By breaking these verses, we will find the following instructions:

-        - “ …stripping off every unnecessary weight and the sin which so easily and cleverly entangles us…”

-         - let us run with endurance and active persistence the race that is set before us

-      -    “[looking away from all that will distract us and]…

-        -  focusing our eyes on Jesus, who is the Author and Perfecter of faith [the first incentive for our belief and the One who brings our faith to maturity],

Over the years as I remember each and every trial and suffering in my life I can only say that these have made my faith and love grow stronger for my Abba Father, for through-out all these I have experienced His Faithfulness and His tender love that endures forever!

Challenge: Please, just close your eyes and picture our Loving Savior on the cross; shedding His blood…pouring His life for yours! And…Just consider and meditate on Him who endured from sinners such bitter hostility against Himself [consider it all in comparison with your trials], so that you will not grow weary and lose heart” (Hebrews 12:3 AMP) Amen!!

I also encourage you to read this article of an interview with John Piper:

https://thirst.sg/blog/ask-pastor-john-piper-how-can-we-fight-for-joy/

Blessings,

Mari


You Might Also Like

0 comments