From Wretched To Beloved {Romans 5}

12:30 AM



Monday March 25


God's mercy is so great that you may sooner drain the sea of its water, or deprive the sun of its light, or make space too narrow, than diminish the great mercy of God.”...Charles Spurgeon 

I’ve said it before that Romans is my absolute favorite book in the Bible, and chapter 5 is one of the reasons why. To me it sums up the message of the gospel beautifully. Once helpless, dead in spirit, and enemies of God, through the grace and mercy of the Lord, not only can we have peace with God, but we can rejoice in the hope of knowing that one day we will spend eternity with Him. (vs. 1,2) And as of late, peace and hope are two words I find myself clinging to more and more.

It seems that the attacks of the Enemy have been coming at me fast and furious. Whether it’s in the form of a dissolving friendship, a destructive temptation, or a disparaging remark from a loved one, Satan has been working overtime putting to the test my thoughts, my tongue, and my actions. And although there are times when I pass the test with flying colors, more often than not I fail miserably. But you know what? It doesn’t matter to God. Because His love for me isn’t based on anything I do but instead on everything He does. Whether I win or lose God’s love never waivers. 

And so when I’m feeling particularly discouraged, I read the words of Paul who tells me, “Newsflash! God knows your failings and loves you anyway!” The Lord knew from the beginning how man would fall; how we would rebel, reject, and disappoint Him. He knew how Adam would sin in the garden of Eden and the consequences that would follow. And so what did God do? Far from doling out the punishment of death that we all deserve, He gives to us a most precious gift. The gift of His unmerited grace and mercy. “For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.” (vs. 6) Sparing no expense, not even His only begotten Son, God Himself provides the path of reconciliation to Him, declaring us justified through faith in Jesus.

What does this mean? This means that even though I am a sinner and fail daily, God wants me. All of me; the good, the bad, and the ugly. And not because of my great love for Him, but because of His great love for me. “God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” (vs. 5:8) Every sin I have committed, past, present, and future, Jesus paid the price for, allowing me to be declared righteous in the eyes of God. So does this give me carte blanche to live my life in purposeful sin knowing the bill has already been paid? Absolutely not! Knowing the sacrifice the Lord made and all He endured to give me eternal life, gives me a heart that wants to lead a life pleasing to Him; hence my great discouragement when I fail.

Richard Sibbes is quoted as saying, “there is more mercy in Christ than sin in us.” As I continue to have good and bad days, successes and failures, I will be forever grateful for God’s grace and mercy that no matter what will remain the same. And when trials come my way I will remember Paul who tells me, “Rejoice in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character; hope, and hope does not disappoint,  because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.” (vs. 3-5) Most of all, I will rejoice in God’s amazing grace that saved a wretch like me!


You Might Also Like

0 comments