God's Faithfulness {Genesis 6:1-9:17}

12:30 AM

January 3, 2018

Read:  Genesis 6:1-9:17


Before we began this new study, Sue has asked me if I would switch days with her this week, which is why she posted yesterday, and I am here today.  Now, I knew right away what chapters I would be writing about and I have to say, I was very excited to have this opportunity. 

I have been in a season of expectation.  I discovered I have had far too many expectations of other people and of myself, which has left me with a great deal of emptiness.  And as much as I hate to admit it, my faith was beginning to look rather small.


Image result for jeremiah 29:11

Early last week I sat down with my iworship Bible and I read these chapters and I was flooded with God’s blessing!  (no pun intended).  God knows we are fearful of the storms of life.  Imagine Noah and his family had never experienced rain before this 40 days and 40 nights of rain.  And a flood that demolished every living thing except what was on the boat.  The next time the rain came, don’t you think they were afraid of what may happen?  A flood that would produce the same kind of destruction?

God knew they might be fearful, so in His mercy, He made a covenant, a promise, to Noah and all the earth.  In this covenant, God promised unconditionally that He would never send another flood to destroy all life on the earth.

Three times God reiterated His promise to “never again” destroy the earth by such a flood.  After living through such a traumatic experience, it seems God wanted to reassure Noah, so He graciously repeated the promise.  And He sealed it with a sign.

As I read these chapters and I saw how many times Noah obeyed the Lord, I was suddenly overwhelmed with understanding that I got into the boat!  I may be going through a storm in my life right now, but I am obeying the Lord and sticking with Him and His plan.  And God has hung up his bow.  It isn’t pointing down towards you or me as if He’s ready for battle.  He’s left it for us to see that although we may forget and lose our focus, He never forgets.  “When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.”  (9:16)


How have you witnessed God’s faithfulness to you?  How are you worshipping God for His faithfulness?

Image result for Genesis 9:16

You Might Also Like

0 comments