Wisdom in our Speech {James 3}

10:30 PM



Today James cautions us regarding the use of our tongue: “… For we all stumble and sin in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says [never saying the wrong thing], he is a perfect man [fully developed in character, without serious flaws], able to bridle his whole body and rein in his entire nature [taming his human faults and weaknesses].” (3:2 AMP)  If we are able to control our speech, we will be able to control the rest of our body: our thoughts, emotions, desires, etc.

For the first years of my Christian walk I would usually tend to look back at my childhood: the dysfunctional home I was raised in, and the pain. My brother and I were exposed to so many hurtful and abusive words, and I knew only Jesus could restore and heal my family.  Eventually my parents divorced and I would usually think: “If I do marry and have a family of my own, I will never react in anger, I will never…! But let me tell you, during my first years of marriage this was so difficult! Most of the time I would end up doing just the opposite! (Ro. 7:20)

James also mentions the terrible consequences of speaking words that do not edify, but destroy: “The tongue is a fire, a world of evil. Placed among the parts of our bodies, the tongue contaminates the whole body and sets on fire the course of life, and is itself set on fire by hell” (3:6 AMP)

 James also describes the tongue as: “… a restless evil [undisciplined, unstable], full of deadly poison.” (3:8) How can it be that we profess our faith on Sunday–for example-  by praising our Father and blessing our brethren and the rest of the week we lie, we boast, gossip, judge, etc. James says it is contradictory, and it shouldn’t be this way! We’ve been redeemed from the power of sin! A great price was paid for our Salvation! We should reflect in our speech and all our ways that we fear God and we respect His precepts (3:9-10)

But where do these evil words come from? They are the result of a proud and bitter heart (sin), and the tongue will only speak out of this behavior. Jesus said: “But whatever [word] comes out of the mouth comes from the heart, and this is what defiles and dishonors the man. (Mat. 15:18): “For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart. 35 The good man, from his [inner] good treasure, brings out good things; and the evil man, from his [inner] evil treasure, brings out evil things. 36 But I tell you, on the day of judgment people will have to give an accounting for every careless or useless word they speak.” (Mat. 15:34-36) This is serious: giving an account f or every careless or useless word we speak!!



In Proverbs 4:23 we are instructed to: ”Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.”  We must continually evaluate ourselves and humbly pray like the Psalmist:
Search me [thoroughly], O God, and know my heart;
Test me and know my anxious thoughts;
24 And see if there is any wicked or hurtful way in me,
And lead me in the everlasting way. (139:23-24)


It’s a tough world out there, and we as Christians have much work so it is crucial to keep ourselves focused in Christ. Unless Jesus is a living reality in our hearts, we won’t be able to reflect Him. In 1 Peter 3:15-16 we are instructed:
But in your hearts set Christ apart [as holy—acknowledging Him, giving Him first place in your lives] as Lord. Always be ready to give a [logical] defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope and confident assurance [elicited by faith] that is within you, yet [do it] with gentleness and respect. 16 And see to it that your conscience is entirely clear, so that every time you are slandered or falsely accused, those who attack or disparage your good behavior in Christ will be shamed [by their own words].” (AMP- emphasis mine))

We need of God’s wisdom in our Christian walk and in our speech. The kind of wisdom that produces the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23): wisdom from above.  In contrast, the wisdom that the world offers is full of envy and self-seeking. This produces the fruit of confusion and other evil things. (3:13-16)

Before I close let me share that over the years my father (he is with our Lord), my mother and my brother gave their lives to Jesus and I know He will continue to heal and restore our hearts through His grace and the work of His Holy Spirit!

“May the purity, peace, gentleness, teachableness, and mercy shown in all our actions, and the fruits of righteousness abounding in our lives, prove that God has bestowed upon us this excellent gift.” M. Henry

Blessings!


Mari

You Might Also Like

0 comments