Can Jesus be Just Savor and Not Lord of Your Life?

9:00 AM


Long ago when I first began to lead women's Bible studies, I thought it would be a great idea to start off each lesson with an question to be discussed. I thought, at the time, that this would be a great way to generate conversation and pull the women into what I would be teaching on that day. I only did this once, for the very first time I threw out a question the discussion quickly became so heated that I honestly feared World War III was about to break out in the room!

The question was, must Jesus be both Savior and Lord of your life, or can He be just Savior?

I've thought about this question a LOT over the years since that fateful day and I'm going to give you my answer over the next few post through May as we focus on surrender, but first I think it would be good to define the word, surrender.  

 This world Beloved, is a battleground and the moment you come to Jesus you're immediately set on the field of battle. Since the fall of man in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3), the world God created has been in conflict with Him according to Romans 8:20-22

Surrender is a battle term that implies giving up all rights to our conqueror, and in truth, each and every moment of each day we surrender to either God or Satan, for Jesus has told us that we can not possibly serve two masters (Matthew 6:24).

When in a battle and one surrenders, they lay down their arms to the winner, and the winner then takes control. Surrendering to God works the same way. God has a plan for our lives, and surrendering to Him means we set aside our own plans and yield to His plans. 

The good news is that God’s plan for us is always in our best interest (Jeremiah 29:11), unlike our own plans that often lead to destruction (Proverbs 14:12). Our Lord has conquered us to bless us with an abundant life (John 10:10). 

It would be so very nice if we could surrender once and for all and enjoy ALL of this abundant life Jesus planned for us, wouldn't it? BUT, you and I know it doesn't work that way unfortunately, for within in each of us is what the Bible often refers to as the flesh, which is forever at war with God's Spirit (Galatians 5:17)

I believe Paul summed it up best in Romans 7:15-25,  I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do... As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me... For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.  For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing... [But] thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Only with God's help. We cannot possibly live and do all we hope to in the flesh and the good news is we were never expected to! Jesus is our resin Savor! Risen to live out His life through us! He will accomplish it all as along as we are willing and surrendered! 

How does it work? What does a surrendered life look like as opposed to being in charge? That's what we'll be exploring all this month! But for today, I'll leave you with this: 

My goal (and I pray yours as well this month, and actually always) can be summed up in Galatians 2:20: "I have been crucified with Christ It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." 

This life of surrender is pleasing to God resulting in not only the abundant life today, but will reap ultimate rewards in heaven (Luke 6:22-23).

Please join me and our writers on WITW this month as we focus on surrendering all to the One who has paid the ultimate price for us and offers us an abundant life both now and for all eternity! 

Blessings, 

Sue












You Might Also Like

0 comments