Walking in Wisdom - God's Overflowing Grace (2 Corinthians 12)

8:30 PM



Please read: 2 Corinthians 12

I know for sure that having to go through some kind of affliction is not an easy task! All of us have experienced pain and suffering of some kind, but most important, is how we deal when in this situation.  Especially now that we are going through this world-wide pandemic!

Jesus before warning his disciples of the afflictions they were to endure, reassured them that in Him they would have His peace and would overcome with Him, too!

“I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace. In the world you have tribulation and distress and suffering, but be courageous [be confident, be undaunted, be filled with joy]; I have overcome the world.” [My conquest is accomplished, My victory abiding.]” (John 16:33 AMP)

Isn`t this something we should treasure as a promise for us too?
Paul was not the exception, he also endured many hardships throughout his life and ministry, but in today´s scripture Paul speaks of a ¨thorn in the flesh¨ that he begged the Lord to remove.

 Because of the surpassing greatness and extraordinary nature of the revelations [which I received from God], for this reason, to keep me from thinking of myself as important, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan, to torment and harass me—to keep me from exalting myself! “ (Vs.7 AMP)

The Lord did not remove this thorn, but gave him the strength to bear it:
“… but He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you [My lovingkindness and My mercy are more than enough—always available—regardless of the situation]; for [My] power is being perfected [and is completed and shows itself most effectively] in [your] weakness.” (Vs.9 AMP)

"God will always honour our prayers, and sometimes it is a golden answer to deny us our request, and give us the very opposite of what we seek… What a sad thing it must be not to be a believer in Christ, because thorns we shall have if we are not in Christ, but those thorns will not be blessings to us?.” (C. H. Spurgeon)

Paul in the following verses continued boasting with joy of the power of God that enabled him to thrive in his ministry; he was certain that this affliction, this “thorn on the flesh” -that God would not deliver him from- would keep him steadfast and humble. 


“There is sublime joy in holy boasting of the power of God in a life that is totally dependent on Him.  There is sublime peace in accepting the sufficiency of God´s grace by allowing Him to be strong in us where we are weak.” Marie Chapian

What an example we have in Paul: God’s Holy Spirit working through a totally surrendered life!  Paul knew there was a holy purpose in his affliction! God did not spare Paul from the suffering, but gave him the power to conquer it!
Let us consider: Are our weaknesses the opportunity for God´s power to be made perfect in us?

Before I close, let us reflect on these words by Matthew Henry:
Grace signifies the goodwill of God towards us, and that is enough to enlighten and enliven us, sufficient to strengthen and comfort in all afflictions and distresses. His strength is made perfect in our weakness. Thus his grace is manifested and magnified.”

This is my prayer for us here at Women in the Word.
Mari



You Might Also Like

0 comments