Be a Cheerful Giver {2 Corinthians 9}

8:00 AM



What does it mean to be a cheerful giver?  Giving to the Church looks a little different than the Church of the Old Testament.  We are not commanded to give 10% of our income to our primary place of worship.  We are, however, exhorted to financially support both our local church and other believers in need around the world.

In 2 Corinthians 9, Paul reminds the church in Corinth that they had promised to collect money for other believers.


The word translated “cheerful” is the Greek hilaros, and pretty much means the same – cheerful, joyous.  But also has a sense of readiness.  It means to be ready to act at a moment’s notice, to be prepared.

With today’s economy, it can be difficult for even the most faithful to give to the church cheerfully – either joyously or readily.  There are some things we can do, however, that might help change our attitude.



Remember what we owe.  Romans 8:32 says, “He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?”

The “all things” here refers to victory in this life and salvation for the next.  A monetary donation is nothing compared to what we received because of Jesus’ sacrifice.

Remember what the money is used for.  The money that Paul collected was usually earmarked for the poor saints in Jerusalem (Romans 15:26).  These were people who stayed in Jerusalem and developed the foundation of the church.  Many lived in poverty after abandoning homes and farms to learn more about Jesus. 

Remember God’s promise to the giver.  Jesus tells us, “give, and it will be given to you.  Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap (Luke 6:38).  This does not mean that God will always financially bless those who give, but if we make Him a priority, He will take care of us.


God’s gifts are not only meant to bless us, but for our use to bless others.  Giving is not always about monetary giving.  And to give grudgingly or not at all, is a sign of a heart issue.  It means that we value whatever we cling to so tightly, more than the value of the Kingdom of God.  It is when we learn to give ourselves to Christ that we can cheerfully give to support His purpose. 

I recently had an opportunity to call an old friend who owns a small business.  I typically go to this store twice a year.  I contacted him to see if I could purchase a gift certificate for my daughter’s birthday and buy another pair of running shoes.  I just bought a pair in late February and I’m wearing them in my house now that I’m home all day and the majority of my house has ceramic tile, so I need the support or I’ll be visiting my podiatrist sooner than I’d like.  If you are not a runner, it is not recommended to simply wear your running shoes as house shoes.  

We first chatted for about an hour over the phone about our present circumstances.  I eventually gave him my debt card information and I proceeded to pick up my shoes and gift card about an hour or two later.  While there, we again chatted, and I simply shared some of my life experiences with him.

Two days later, he sent me a note letting me know that he realized that my visit was “meant to be”.  As a believer, he let me know that my visit reminded him of Who he belongs to.  He told me that my visit placed his faith back where it was meant to be.  He told me that he is forever grateful.  He remembered my recent purchase in February and I probably could have saved the new shoes by wearing something else, but I supported him and his 35 yearlong business.  And above all, I supported his faith.

After receiving his note, I reflected on our conversation.  I never even considered not discussing faith with him.  I meant to share each story and all I knew.  I was cheerful.  I was joyous letting him know all God has done for me – even in crisis. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments