He is Our Abba Father {Romans 8}

12:30 AM




Some of you know I was raised in a dysfunctional home. Most of the time my father was away, so I hardly remember any special moments with him.  When I turned 15 my parents divorced so this brought a broader distance between us. Of course, I was left with so many questions and a deep desire to be loved. By the age of 22 this yearning came to an end and a great part of the questions were answered! Psalm 40 can describe what happened (I’ll only focus on the first 3 verses):
I waited patiently and expectantly for the Lord; And He inclined to me and heard my cry.
He brought me up out of a horrible pit [of tumult and of destruction], out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock, steadying my footsteps and establishing my path.  He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; Many will see and fear [with great reverence] And will trust confidently in the Lord.” 
That was 33 years ago, and let me tell you, since then, Romans 8  has had a great impact on my life!

In the first verses, Paul describes how important it is to recognize that in our walk with the Lord we continually have to fight against our flesh which was for many years directed by the law.  The law can do many things. It can guide us, teach us, and tell us about God's character. But the law cannot give energy to our flesh; it can give us the standard, but it cannot give us the power to live pleasing to God.   But now it is not so: Paul tells us that not only are we saved by the work of the Spirit, but also we must walk by the Spirit if want to grow and pursue holiness in the Lord. We cannot be like some among the Galatians who thought they could begin in the Spirit but then find spiritual perfection through the flesh (Galatians 3:3)”. (Bibleorg)

Now that we are in Christ we do not continue to live according to our old nature, but according to the Spirit which is in us!  At first it might be difficult, but the Spirit will begin to deal with us and convict us. The power for the Christian walk is the Holy Spirit. We will never be alone, because He promised it: "I will be with you to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:20).
By having the Spirit of God in our lives we will experience a life of peace (vs.6). However, for those who live in the flesh, that is, sinful minds, death results because they are hostile to God’s laws.
"It does not say, 'As many as are driven by the Spirit of God.' No, the devil is a driver, and when he enters either into men or into hogs he drives them furiously. Remember how the whole herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea. Whenever you see a man fanatical and wild, whatever spirit is in him it is not the Spirit of Christ." (Spurgeon)

.How does the Holy Spirit lead us?
- We are led by guidance
- We are led by drawing
- We are led by governing authority
- We are led as we cooperate with the leading.

 Where does the Holy Spirit lead us?
- He leads us to repentance
- He leads us to think little of self and much of Jesus
- He leads us into truth
- He leads us into love
- He leads us into holiness
- He leads us into usefulness

Paul wrote: “For all who are allowing themselves to be led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.  For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading again to fear [of God’s judgment], but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons [the Spirit producing sonship] by which we [joyfully] cry, “Abba! Father!”- Romans 8:14-15

Yes, we have now become His children, and now He is our Daddy! Isn’t that awesome?
"In the Roman world of the first century A.D. an adopted son was a son deliberately chosen by his adoptive father to perpetuate his name and inherit his estate; he was no whit inferior in status to a son born in the ordinary course of nature." (Bruce)
 
Paul continues to explain: "The Spirit Himself testifies and confirms together with our spirit [assuring us] that we [believers] are children of God.  And if [we are His] children, [then we are His] heirs also: heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ [sharing His spiritual blessing and inheritance], if indeed we share in His suffering so that we may also share in His glory.” (8:16-17)  What a privilege and an amazing promise: we are fellow heirs with Christ!
Our life in Christ will not always be easy (“Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses…” vs .26 ), but we have our Daddy who will always be with us to help us fulfill His perfect will and purpose for our lives (vs.28); He will always be for us (vs. 31) AND NOTHING will ever separate us from His  LOVE!

I am a living witness of all this and I can’t thank Him enough for His Faithfulness! On June 2013 I received a telephone call from one of my half-sisters (my father re-married after the divorce and raised 3 children), telling me that my father was diagnosed with a terminal cancer. From then on I phoned him on a regular basis, and eventually he surrendered his life to Jesus! For the last 3 months of his life we had the opportunity to share over the phone many things. We knew nothing about each other, but it was especially wonderful for me to share the unfailing love of our Heavenly Father!, I praise our Daddy that on October 2013, he gave my husband and I the opportunity to fly to see him in the hospital. I was by his bed, holding hands with him and praying for him and his family, a few days before our Daddy took him Home with Him. This was something I had never imagined!! His Plans, His Ways are Perfect and His Faithfulness endures forever!

Let me ask you: Are you waiting to come back to your Daddy? His arms are open to you!
Blessings!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments