God’s Promises: Anna

11:30 AM


Only a few verses....a mere glimpse into the life of Anna...but we know that she was a prophetess who believed the promises of God and served Him faithfully. She lost her husband at a young age but she found fulfillment and purpose in living a life of consistent dedication to God. I imagine that as she found herself in her later years she could relate to these verses from the Psalms.

“For you have been my hope, Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth. From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother’s womb. I will ever praise you. I have become a sign to many; you are my strong refuge. My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendor all day long.”

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭71:5-8‬ 


And as we learn from Luke, she was given the great privilege in those later years of witnessing God’s promises revealed through the meeting of Mary, Joseph and the young infant Jesus ‭in the temple where she spent her days worshiping, fasting and praying. I imagine that she shared such wondrous news with many who would come to the temple. Again, I see a picture of her in the Psalms. 


“As for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteous deeds, of your saving acts all day long— though I know not how to relate them all. I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, Sovereign Lord; I will proclaim your righteous deeds, yours alone. Since my youth, God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come.”

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭71:14-18‬ 


God took care of Anna and provided a rich, fulfilling life for her even though she was a single woman for most of it. He sustained her even in her older years. She was valued by Him and shown favor. As the years inevitably catch up with each of us, we can take comfort in God’s promises and know that He can still use us to minister to others and glorify Him. We are His children and He has plans for our lives and says that He will be with us and sustain us from our first breath to our last. 


““Listen to me, you descendants of Jacob, all the remnant of the people of Israel, you whom I have upheld since your birth, and have carried since you were born. Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.”

‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭46:3-4‬ ‭

You Might Also Like

0 comments