Daniel's Prayer {Daniel 7-12}

11:02 PM


The first approach I had with Daniel chapter 9, was some 13 years ago: I was depressed; my heart was weary for I had seen no apparent change in my family’s spiritual life and we were going through many tough moments! For many years we would go from one Church to another not finding the “perfect place”. I was so tired of only being a “church goer”… I knew our family needed help!! 
A very close friend of mine called to ask why we were not attending Church anymore. As soon as she found out she suggested I’d fast and pray “Daniel’s Prayer” (Dan. 9:4-19). I was so desperate I immediately began this fascinating journey! As I began reading the first verses I noticed something amazing: 
“I prayed to the Lord my God and made confession, saying, “O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments,  we have sinned and done wrong and acted wickedly and rebelled, turning aside from your commandments and rules. We have not listened to your servants the prophets,” (9:4-5ª)
-Daniel began his prayer where we all should: by recognizing the greatness and goodness of God. Confessing our total dependence in Him.
- As Daniel confesses Israel's sin he prays as if he is as bad as the rest of Israel! He humbly identifies himself as sinner. It is very clear to him that: “None is righteous, no, not one;” (Ro. 3:10, Ps.14:1-3). I was so used to pray like this: “Please Lord, change my husband… my situation, etc.”  This really hit me!! Instead of confessing I’d usually complain!! 
and we have not obeyed the voice of the Lord our God by walking in His laws” (9:10)
-Daniel does not make the slightest excuse for Israel's sin. The fault belongs to Israel and Israel alone. We tend to use excuses for our sin as we make our "confessions" to God!
“All this disaster has come upon us; yet we have not made our prayer before the LORD our God”(9:13b)
 -As Daniel confesses his sin and the sin of Israel, he comes to the sin of prayerlessness. Even when they faced great trial and calamity, Israel still did not take their prayer before the Lord! This had been happening to me, instead of seeking God in earnest prayer in the midst of difficulties, I’d make a pity-party and invite depression into the scenario!
 “Now therefore, our God, listen to (heed) the prayer of Your servant (Daniel) and his supplications, and for Your own sake let Your face shine on Your desolate sanctuary. 18 O my God, incline Your ear and hear; open Your eyes and look at our desolations and the city which is called by Your name; for we are not presenting our supplications before You because of our own merits and righteousness, but because of Your great mercy and compassion. 19 O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and take action! Do not delay, for Your own sake, O my God” (9:17-19)
- Daniel humbly and repeatedly pleads to God, exulting His righteousness and goodness! Just like Jesus’s advice in Luke: “For everyone who keeps on asking [persistently], receives; and he who keeps on seeking [persistently], finds; and to him who keeps on knocking [persistently], the door will be opened.” (11:10)
His focus was on God and His character.
His prayer was one of sincerity, confession, unselfishness, and dependence on the Word of God.
 Such a prayer has great power. In Daniels's case, God sent the angel Gabriel with His answer even before Daniel finished praying! We need to be more like Daniel. When going through hard times our prayers should model after his. As he said in Daniel 11:31, "The people who know their God will display strength and take action." How wonderful it is that we have a living God who loves us, who we can go to with all of our hurts, and who will answer our prayers in ways we can hardly imagine! He is waiting to hear from you!

As Christians we are not here for our own purpose at all— we are here for the purpose of God, and the two are not the same. We do not know what God’s compelling purpose is, but whatever happens, we must maintain our relationship with Him. We must never allow anything to damage our relationship with God, but if something does damage it, we must take the time to make it right again. The most important aspect of Christianity is not the work we do, but the relationship we maintain and the surrounding influence and qualities produced by that relationship. That is all God asks us to give our attention to, and it is the one thing that is continually under attack. 
 "Follow up your advantage; build another prayer or the answer that you have. If you have received a great blessing, say, 'Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him; because he has heard me once, therefore will I call again." (Spurgeon)
I praise our Father for those difficulties which led me to seek Him in a very different way! He remained Faithful, and in the following months we all went to a family retreat and He worked great things in each and every one of us!! Yes, He is Faithful, indeed!! 
 I’d like to close with M. Henry’s comment:
“Here is an earnest request to God to restore the poor captive Jews to their former enjoyments. O Lord, hearken and do. Not hearken and speak only, but hearken and do; do that for us which none else can do; and defer not. Here are several pleas and arguments to enforce the petitions. Do it for the Lord Christ’s sake; Christ is the Lord of all. And for his sake God causes his face to shine upon sinners when they repent, and turn to him. In all our prayers this must be our plea, we must make mention of his righteousness, even of his only. The humble, fervent, believing earnestness of this prayer should ever be followed by us.”
Blessings, 
Mari





You Might Also Like

0 comments