The Blessings & Benefits Found in Psalm 119

12:00 AM




I’ll admit early on in my Christian walk, I tended to avoid Psalm 119, or started it, but never read to the end. It was just too long in my opinion, but once I learned more about this Psalm I grew to appreciate all that’s here; which is why I thought I’d write about it today, just in case there might be others out there like the younger me who have tended in the past to skip over it!

Psalm 119 is the longest Psalm, and is actually written as an acrostic poem. The verses of each stanza begin with the same letter of the Hebrew alphabet. There are 22 stanzas, equal to 22 letters of the (Hebrew) alphabet, with 8 verses each, for a grand total of 176 verses!

The author didn’t sign his poem, but some have suggested it may have been Ezra the priest who wrote it around the time that the temple was being rebuilt, and I’ll admit, I like the idea of Ezra being the author for we already know that he had “set his heart to study the law of the Lord and to practice it, and to teach His statutes and ordinances in Israel. (Ezra 7:10). BUT others have suggested David, or possibly Daniel. All of these men are possible candidates because each had experienced severe persecution in their lives, and persecution of those who hold fast to the Word of God is a theme throughout Psalm 119.

However, the overall message of Psalm 119 focuses on the truth of God’s Word. I believe the author wanted to encourage us to stay close and focused on His Word no matter what is swirling around us in this world. Living with the knowledge of God’s ways, is freeing! And obeying His Word above all else is the only way to truly be blessed.

For we know that His Word is powerful, living, and active. It never changes, because He never changes, and it’s sharper than any two-edged sword. His words come straight from His heart to ours, and are designed to be a love letter for our life!

The first two verses remind us, that we are "blessed" as we walk in His Truths, and seek Him with all our heart, and I thought it would be cool to list as many of the blessings and benefits I could find in Psalm 119, but I’m sure there’s more, and if you find some I’ve missed, please feel free to add them!

His Word creates a thankful heart. I shall give thanks to You with uprightness of heart, when I learn Your righteous judgments.”v.7
His Word breathes new life into us when discouraged. “My soul clings to the dust, give me life according to your word!” v.25
His Word exposes thoughts contrary to God. “Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law!” v.29
His Word turns our eyes to what’s important. “Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things, and give me life in your ways.”v.37
His Word fills us with hope. “Remember your word to your servant, in which you have made me hope.” v.49
His Word brings comfort. “This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life.” V.50
His Word causes us to be thankful. “At midnight I rise to praise you because of your righteous rules.” V.62
His Word gives us wisdom. “I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts.” V.100
His Word feeds a hungry soul.  “How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” v.103
His Word guides us. “Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.”v.105
His Word brings life. “I am severely afflicted, give me life, O Lord, according to your word!” v.107
His Word keeps us from hanging around with the wrong people. “Depart from me, you evildoer, that I may keep the commandments of my God.” V.115
His Word gives us a longing for eternity. “My eyes long for your salvation and for the fulfillment of your righteous promise.” V.123
His Word encourages us. “I rise before dawn and cry for help. I hope in your word” v.147
His Word gives us peace. “Great peace have those who love your law, nothing can make them stumble.” V.165
His Word leads us back to Christ. “I have gone astray like a lost sheep, seek your servant for I do not forget your commandments.” V.176

The author has definitely done a masterful job encouraging his readers to get into the Word and stay there, hasn’t he? I can honestly say my own passion for His Word has been renewed as I've read through this Psalm to pull out the benefits of keeping in it, and I pray it will have the same effect on you too!

Blessings,

sue

You Might Also Like

0 comments