Unity {Ephesians 4}

12:30 AM



I have been in a season that looks like a deep rut.  And I can’t seem to find my way out.  Unfortunately, I’ve tried to reach out to those who do not wish to join me down here.  I’ve been trying to understand why I’m here and at the same time, I’ve been fighting to get out!

I have to say though, that in what has seemed to be a lonely place, I’ve noticed that I’m really not alone.  Yes, I am a prisoner, but I’ve come to realize that my imprisonment is a choice.  I’ve chained myself to guilt, shame and a less than glamourous past.  I’ve also noticed that the reason I am so lonely is that I don’t notice anyone else around me.  It is so difficult to see through the cloud of self-absorption.

Even in this self-absorbed state, the Lord has never left me.  His Word is perfect.  Just read, “(What does “he ascended” mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regions?  He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens in order to fill the whole universe.)  So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.  (vs. 9-13) (emphasis mine)

My first thought was “Super Hero”.  Christ left His heavenly kingdom and came to this dirty earth to love, teach and serve us.  He even descended to hell to show His mighty power.  And then ascended back to heaven.  Who else could do that? 


 Image result for ephesians 4:3


Let me share with you what I’ve learned while being in a rut.  The Lord has forgiven me for all the times I have not walked worthy of the calling I’ve been called to, all while teaching me humility, gentleness and patience.

And oh, how His grace that saved me and is still sustaining me and keeps me walking upright daily.  He is teaching me to have a humble heart.  While here in this rut, He is teaching me gentleness and He’s removing all my harsh attitudes.   He’s teaching me patience, especially when I want things done ‘right now’!  He’s showing me that the condition of my heart isn’t always perfect, but HE is and so is HIS timing.  He’s helping me to wait in the silence.  He’s helping me to trust and hope in HIM alone.

And while down here in this rut, the Lord is showing me how to bear the burdens of others in LOVE.  He has forgiven me for the times I have not prayed or interceded for my brothers and sisters.  He’s teaching me how to reach out in love to help bear their burdens and to serve quickly and with a joyful heart.
  
I am so thankful for all those who have gone before me, the apostles, the saints, and the teachers.  I am also thankful for the desire for unity, for it is unity that drives me to keep on getting up every day and practice, to read God’s word and study.  Unity has driven me to put on righteousness.  Unity has driven me to reach up and take His hand and walk up the mountain, over and over, so when I come back down I will bear His love and His strength to serve others. 
  
I have learned while in this rut to hold tightly to the truth revealed in the scriptures.  To open the door when the Lord knocks (the knob is on my side of the door).  I have learned that just as children and plants grow, so must I and I have to bury the old self and leave her there!  The weight of death and the past are too heavy a burden for me alone. 


Image result for ephesians 4:32But oh, the freedom in walking in trust – unified with the Lord.  He has not only crucified my past and I have been set free, but He has an amazing plan for me.  And the joy and freedom I have experienced to see a glimpse into His wonderful plan, I just can’t help but want to fly right alongside my super hero.  Truly grasping His desire for unity just makes me want to grab others along the way.  There’s so much freedom to walk in humility and love for others, with compassion and forgiveness, unified with Christ.

You Might Also Like

0 comments