The Power of Praise ~ Psalm 147

2:30 AM

Scripture for today: Psalm 147 & Isaiah 40:25-29


We did it, Girls!  We've read and studied every psalm, or will have on Friday! Have we become women after God's own heart? I believe so! I know my faith has grown tremendously through this study; far more than in any other study we've done over the past ten years! And how fitting to end our study focused on praising our amazing Father and our Lord, Jesus Christ!

Before we begin, let me ask you, how easy do praises roll off your lips? 

Psalm 147 begins, "Praise the Lord. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him!" (147:1)

I thought the choice of words the psalmist uses to encourage us was interesting - "pleasant and fitting to praise Him." for not everything that is fitting is pleasant. 

Forgiving an offender is fitting, but may not always be pleasant, particularly if the offense is often repeated, or the offender isn't sorry. Giving and receiving discipline is fitting, but it may not be pleasant at the moment (Hebrews 12:11).

BUT Psalm 147 tells us that praise is both pleasant, fitting and good! How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him!”

So, I've decided to go on a quest today to discover why! 

There are many good things to do in life, but praising God is man’s highest good. There is nothing more rewarding, more beautiful, and more beneficial than to praise the Lord of the universe and to appreciate His works.

Praise Invites the Presence of God

But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel. (Psalm 22:3 KJV emphasis mine)

".. —indeed it came to pass, when the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the Lord, and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the Lord, saying:

“For He is good,
For His mercy endures forever,”

that the house, the house of the Lord, was filled with a cloud, so that the priests could not continue ministering because of the cloud; for the glory of the Lord filled the house of God. " (1 Chronicles 5:13-14)

Praise Guarantees Victory

2 Chronicles 20:15-20 tells a story of King Jehoshaphat and his army, "rose early in the morning and went out into the Wilderness of Tekoa; and as they went out, Jehoshaphat stood and said, “Hear me, O Judah and you inhabitants of Jerusalem: Believe in the Lord your God, and you shall be established; believe His prophets, and you shall prosper.” And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed those who should sing to the Lord, and who should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army and were saying:

“Praise the Lord,
For His mercy endures forever.”

Now when they began to sing and to praise, the Lord set ambushes against the people of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir, who had come against Judah; and they were defeated..."

Praise Delivers Us From Our Enemies 

I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised;
So shall I be saved from my enemies
. (Psalm 18:3)

Through the praise of children and infants
    you have established a stronghold against your enemies,
    to silence the foe and the avenger. (Psalm 8:2)

Praise Drives Out Depression 

  and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendor. (Isaiah 61:3)

Praise Satisfies our Souls


O God, You are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water. So I have looked for You in the sanctuary, to see Your power and Your glory. Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise You. Thus I will bless You while I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name. My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness, and my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips. (Psalm 63:1-5)

Praise Brings Joy!

Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, And into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. (Psalm 100:4)

You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
(Psalm 116:7)

Praise Strengthens our Faith!

He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God … (Romans 4:20)

He determines the number of the stars
    and calls them each by name.
Great is our Lord and mighty in power;
    his understanding has no limit.
The Lord sustains the humble (Psalm 147:4-6a)

And Praise Draws Others to Him!

And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself. (John 12:32)

"The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me; to one who orders his way rightly I will show the salvation of God!” (Psalm 50:23)


In short, praise lifts our spirit. Praise restores our hope. Praise rids us of our  uncertainty and celebrates God’s victories. Praise glorifies our God and magnifies our Savior.  No wonder praise is pleasant, good and fitting!

Bottom line, there are many good things to do in life, but praising God is man’s highest good. There is nothing more rewarding, more beautiful, and more noble than to lift up our hearts and voices to praise the Creator of this universe and to appreciate all He has done for each of us.

So, let me ask you:

  • What thoughts fill your mind when you sing songs of praise at church? Where is your focus usually?
  • How often do you sing your thanks and love to God? Or verbalize your praise to God and others?
  • What can you do to enhance and motivate your heart to praise Him?
  • What in your life can you replace with singing or listening to worship music so that you remember to worship more often?
Let's Pray:

O God, You are my God! Let all that I am praise You, Lord. May I never forget the good things You have done for me. May I make the You my shelter, and may  I tell everyone about the beautiful things you do. Please, I pray, let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving and sing joyfully about Your glorious acts always.

Blessings & have a wonderful summer! 
Sue

You Might Also Like

0 comments