A Friend In Adversity (Job 6 - 14)

4:31 AM


Job is in a low place.  He’s overwhelmed, frustrated, grieving, and trying to make sense of all that is happening to him and all that he has lost.  In fact, his perspective is so depressed and bleak that he feels like God is punishing him.  He doesn’t understand why God would allow such tragedy and suffering.

““Oh that my vexation were weighed, and all my calamity laid in the balances! For then it would be heavier than the sand of the sea; therefore my words have been rash. For the arrows of the Almighty are in me; my spirit drinks their poison; the terrors of God are arrayed against me.”(6:2-4)

Can you relate?  Have you ever felt so stripped of what brought comfort and joy to your life that you can’t even imagine you will ever know joy in this life again? Perhaps, like Job, you find no purpose in even continuing to live and you welcome death to end your pain.  

I’ve been there and like Job, I found the well - intentioned advice of many of my friends to often just add to my confusion and pain.  I was in too dark of a place for “pat answers” and the judgements of others to benefit me.  Job’s friends insisted that Job must be under the judgement of God for sin in his life which would be remedied if Job confessed his wrongs. Job, although aware that he was far from sinless, also knew that he had been faithful in his walk with God. He needed comfort and encouragement to trust God’s love for Him, not condemnation for assumed blame. 
““He who withholds kindness from a friend forsakes the fear of the Almighty.”
(6:14)

In contrast, I was blessed to also have the experience of sincere, authentic Christian friendship extended to me as I dealt with my sorrows. These few friends encouraged me to work through my pain as they listened without judgement, prayed for and with me, and helped me process the pain including the pain of feeling abandoned by God. They encouraged me to be honest with God, and to continue in my pursuit of Him as I dealt with the negativity and disappointments. They knew that God was refining, stretching, challenging and growing me and they were willing to accompany me and share in my journey. 

What kind of friend are you when you see others struggling with trials, pain, heartache, depression and confusion?  The Bible encourages us to encourage and support one another.
“And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”(Hebrews10:24-25)

“And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all.” (1 Thessalonians 5:14)

“Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.”(Galatians 6:2)

We all will face difficult trials in this life and during those times we need the support of genuine friends who extend the love, compassion, and patience we need to process our pain.  We need friends who pray for us and encourage us to seek God as a friend as well.  


I want to love you without clutching
Appreciate you without judging
Join you without invading
Invite you without demanding
Leave you without guilt
Criticise you without blaming
And help you without insulting
If I can have the same from you
then we can truly meet
and enrich each other
           Author Unknown

You Might Also Like

0 comments