Through the Ups and Downs( I Samuel 13-15)

12:51 AM



Life is full of ups and downs.  Sometimes we enjoy the ups when we feel accomplished, successful, capable.
Saul and Jonathon, armed with a few thousand men enjoy some military success.  “Jonathan defeated the garrison of the Philistines that was at Geba, and the Philistines heard of it. And Saul blew the trumpet throughout all the land, saying, “Let the Hebrews hear.”” (13:3)

Sometimes we feel the pressure of the downs.  Sometimes the odds seem against us and the obstacles loom large and threatening.
“And the Philistines mustered to fight with Israel, thirty thousand chariots and six thousand horsemen and troops like the sand on the seashore in multitude. (13:5)  Not only are they outnumbered but the Philistines take away their access to weapons.  Saul watches his fearful people hide in caves and holes and some even run away and desert completely.  

How we respond to those ups and downs can reveal the nature of our hearts.

In these days of difficulty, the true heart of Saul is revealed.  Saul gets impatient waiting for Samuel and disobeys God.  He steps in to take over the role of the priest and offer a sacrifice because he is trying to contain the damage and keep more troops from scattering.  The focus of Saul’s heart is what he thinks will be in his best interest vs obeying and submitting to God’s authority.  This costs him God’s favor as king. “And Samuel said to Saul, “You have done foolishly. You have not kept the command of the Lord your God, with which he commanded you. For then the Lord would have established your kingdom over Israel forever. But now your kingdom shall not continue. The Lord has sought out a man after his own heart, and the Lord has commanded him to be prince over his people, because you have not kept what the Lord commanded you.”” (13:13-14)

In contrast, Jonathon has a different response to facing the same challenges.  Instead of trying to control the circumstances, he trusts that God is in control. He proceeds only when sure of God’s will and God intervenes on his behalf.  “Jonathan said to the young man who carried his armor, “Come, let us go over to the garrison of these uncircumcised. It may be that the Lord will work for us, for nothing can hinder the Lord from saving by many or by few.”” (14:6). Jonathon takes down his foes even though outnumbered and God provides added panic among the enemy with an earthquake. 

Circumstances change again but even when all seems up again and in his favor, Saul continues to disobey God.  God clearly told him to kill all of the enemy and his possessions.  “But Saul and the people spared Agag and the best of the sheep and of the oxen and of the fattened calves and the lambs, and all that was good, and would not utterly destroy them. All that was despised and worthless they devoted to destruction.”  (15:9) Once again, Saul’s self seeking heart is revealed.  When confronted by Samuel, Saul tries to make excuses for his behavior and is insincere in his desires to reconcile to God.  And Samuel said, “Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to listen than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of divination, and presumption is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, he has also rejected you from being king.”” (15:9, 22-23)

God knows that life will carry us through changing circumstances.  With the ups and downs that we face, He is looking for the heart that holds steadfast and seeks His will and obeys His commands.  He isn’t impressed with our outward behaviors or gestures or insincere offerings.  He knows that we are human and make mistakes.  He wants our obedience but He also wants to know that when we sin, we will humble ourselves in true repentance. God rejected Saul as king because Saul would not humble himself and submit to God’s authority. God chose David as king, however, because David had a heart that was sincere, willing to obey, and willing to be humble through all of the ups and downs. 

Self Assessment: I found these 10 reasons why David was called “ a man after God’s heart” ( by: Ron Edmondson)

Acts 13:22 says, “After removing Saul, he made David their king. He testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.‘”
The following words describe the heart of David as seen in his own writings:
(All verses New International Version)
Humble – Lowborn men are but a breath, the highborn are but a lie; if weighed on a balance, they are nothing; together they are only a breath. Psalm 62:9
Reverent – I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies. Psalm 18:3
Respectful – Be merciful to me, O Lord, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and my body with grief. Psalm 31:9
Trusting – The LORD is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1
Loving – I love you, O Lord, my strength. Psalm 18:1
Devoted – You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. Psalm 4:7
Recognition – I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders. Psalm 9:1
Faithful – Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23:6
Obedient – Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart. Psalm 119:34
Repentant – For the sake of your name, O Lord, forgive my iniquity, though it is great. Psalm 25:11

What do the ups and downs of life reveal about your heart?

You Might Also Like

0 comments