7 Keys to Discerning God’s Will {1 Chronicles 17-21}

7:30 PM




 I’m sure all of us at some point have found ourselves wondering just what God’s will was in certain situations – Should you take the job? Move? Marry? Which schools? Church? Ministry? What to say or not to say? The list is almost as long as the advice we’ve probably received at one time or another!

Even David can relate! Suddenly he had come up with what he thought was a great idea: “And it came about, when David dwelt in his house that David said to Nathan the prophet, ‘Behold, I am dwelling in a house of cedar, but the ark of the covenant of the Lord is under curtains.’” – (1 Chronicles 17:1). David decided it was time to build God a beautiful temple, for why should David be afforded the luxury of a beautiful home while the Ark of the Covenant was still housed in a tent?  It sounded like such a great idea that even Nathan the prophet encouraged David to move ahead with it; “Then Nathan said to David, “Do all that is in your heart, for God is with you.” (17:2)
That was until the Lord came to Nathan that same night, Go and tell David My servant, ‘Thus says the Lord, “You shall not build a house for Me to dwell in; for I have not dwelt in a house since the day that I brought up Israel to this day, but I have gone from tent to tent and from one dwelling place to another.”-1 Chronicles 17:4-5
 
That got me thinking…how can we be sure that even our great ideas are God’s will? I’ve come up with a few, “keys” to unlocking His will that have worked for me and should you think of  others, I hope you’ll share them with us as well.

Keys to Discerning God’s Will

1.)    Walk Closely with God (probably the most important key)
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”- Pr 3:5-6

If we want to know God’s plan for our life, we will need to learn to walk with God.  Christianity first and foremost is all about a relationship with a holy God, rather than just a religion. We need to seek to know Him and not just to know about Him.
The very best ways of growing to know Him more is by spending time in His Word, taking time to pray, and taking every opportunity you can to be involved with other believers who are also seeking to know Him more.

2.)    Surrender Our Will to Him.
“ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”- Romans 12:1-2

Often times when we claim to be seeking God’s will, we may already have an idea in mind and what we really want is for God to agree with our idea. Especially if it’s a good idea, like in David’s case. Even our “good ideas” may not be “His best” for us. Therefore, before God will begin to reveal His will, we need to be committed to doing whatever it is that He desires for us to do. This step might even seem scary at times, for He wants our hearts to be wholly His; trusting Him completely, and He may hold back from revealing His will until He knows your heart is His.

3.)    Walk in Obedience to All You Know He Wants You to Be Doing
 Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.  Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me. – John 14:23-24

If we don’t obey the things that God has already clearly shown us to be His will, why would we think He would reveal any further information regarding His plan for our lives? Therefore, before we begin asking and seeking His will we need to confess and repent (turn from) of any unconfessed sins.

4.)    Ask Expecting to Hear from Him
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of the giving God [Who gives] to everyone liberally and ungrudgingly, without reproaching or faultfinding, and it will be given him. Only it must be in faith that he asks with no wavering (no hesitating, no doubting). For the one who wavers (hesitates, doubts) is like the billowing surge out at sea that is blown hither and thither and tossed by the wind.- James 1:5-6 (AMP)

If you’ve followed the top three than go on and ask Him in faith, claiming James 1:5-6 and expecting Him to answer. I can honestly say in all the years I’ve gone before Him seeking His will and claiming these verses He has never failed to answer! Never! Though, the answer has always come, it has never come the same way twice, or right away. Sometimes it comes through His Word, sometimes through other. Sometimes it’s come right away and other times I may have to wait days, weeks, even months, but when His answers do come I’ve always known it was my answer from Him!

5.)    Seek the Counsel of other Godly People
“Where there is no counsel, the people fall; but in the multitude of counselors there is safety.”- Proverbs 11:14

Once you’ve done steps 1-4, and you’re continuing to seek His will, perhaps it’s time to seek godly wisdom from others. The church (body) is designed to help you.  The more you involve yourself with a community of believers, the greater your chances will be of finding godly men and women who can help you discern God’s will.

6.)    Listen to The Holy Spirit
“My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.”- John 8:27

When you are seeking, be sure to be in tuned to His Spirit and you will be able to recognize when the wisdom you’ve been seeking comes. The greatest turning point in my own prayer life came when I began taking time to simply listen while I was praying. I began keeping a journal and I would write down specific question I needed answers to. Often, as I meditated on the questions, God would start speaking to my heart with ideas and information and I’d write it all down as fast as I could. (I love when He does that!)

7.)    Thank Him and Give Him Praise!
Devoted yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.” – Col 4:2
And whatever you do [no matter what it is] in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus and in [dependence upon] His Person, giving praise to God the Father through Him. –Col 3:17 (AMP)

Sometimes I don’t think we do enough of this last key. I know I’ve been guilty myself a time or two, which is another reason why I like keeping a journal, for this way I can look back and see all He has done for me and give Him the thanks and praise He is so very worthy of!
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd like to share a time when God took six weeks to finally give me the answer I was seeking, but when He did, He did it in a most powerful way! So powerful, we couldn't possibly refute it! I hope you'll join me today on The Women in the Word Bulletin Board!

Till then,
sue




You Might Also Like

0 comments