O That You Might Really Know Him! {Jeremiah 8-12}

8:00 PM

Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches,  but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” – Jeremiah 9:23-24
Just imagine for a moment that written throughout Scripture is an invitation from Almighty God who LOVES you and longs for you to come away with Him; to commune with Him, delight in Him and to grow more and more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him! The Creator of the Universe desires to walk with you every moment of your day!!
For “In [His] presence is fullness of joy; in [His] right hand there are pleasures forever” (Psalm 16:11). His Word tells us over and over again that the greatest thing in all of life is to KNOW Him; for it’s in knowing Him you will find the true meaning and purposes of this life.
Years ago, rather than making New Year’s resolutions, I used to ask God for a verse to focus and meditate on throughout the year. Back in 1999 the Lord gave me what has now become my life verse,
“For my determined purpose is this; that I may know Him [experientially, becoming more thoroughly acquainted with Him, understanding the remarkable wonders of His Person more completely] and [in that same way experience] the power of His resurrection [which overflows and is active in believers], and [that I may share] the fellowship of His sufferings, by being continually conformed [inwardly into His likeness even] to His death.” – Philippians 3:10 (AMP)
I didn’t know it at the time, but 1999 was soon to become the toughest year of my life! A few months later I learned that I was being called to leave almost all I loved and cherished behind; children, family, job, ministries, friends, home, routine, and move thousands of miles away where we had never been and didn’t know a soul! The stress became almost too great as we began to prepare for this transition, and my health began to be impacted, and so I did the only thing I knew to do and that was to turned to the Lord for help.
 He began waking me each night between the hours or 2-4 am and we’d sit together and He would speak to me through His word. Always comforting and assuring me that everything would be okay; that He knew what He was doing and absolutely had the power to make sure that everything went exactly according to His plans. Then He’d put me back to sleep and I’d wake each morning refreshed as if I hadn't been up for hours during the night.
Since, I can honestly say, that what I knew of The Lord back then can’t begin to compare to all I know of Him now! My faith has grown tremendously since then, but I can also say in all honesty that the more I’ve come to know Him, the more I realize how very little I truly know! I certainly cannot boast of knowing all there is to know about Him! Not even close! Therefore, God has said a mouthful in these two verses.
Some on earth are wiser than others, and others stronger and richer, but in knowing God, here I believe God sets each of us at an equal advantage! Each one of us has the same opportunities to truly know The Lord more deeply and intimately each day, so it’s in what we do with our opportunities that matters!
If you take one thing away from today’s study, let it be this:
The God who created us has not abandoned us to stumble through this life. He has provided, at great expense, ALL that we need for life and godliness (2Pet 1:3). He desires to be our Shepherd who protects and provides for us. He has made know in so many ways His great love for us, and now waits for your response.


 



You Might Also Like

0 comments