We’re Talking But Are We Listening {Psalm 79:1-84:12}

12:00 AM



Often when my Grandma would have to repeat herself she’d say to us, “Do you think I’m talking just to hear my own voice?” Then she’d scold us about how we needed to close our mouths and open our ears. Now as an adult I find myself saying the same thing to my husband, my son, and even my dog! They all seem to have caught a case of selective hearing. That made me think about my own ears when it comes to listening to God. 

Throughout the Bible we hear of God directly speaking to people; whether in visions, dreams, animals, angels, or through Jesus Himself. But what about in today’s time? Often I can’t help but think how wonderful it would be to sit across the table from the Lord and have a clear cut conversation where there is no questioning or deciphering what He is trying to tell me. But if I truly listen, His voice is there. And whether I hear Him and more importantly obey Him, is all on me.

In Mark 4:9 Jesus says, “He who has ears to hear let him hear.” One of the most obvious ways in which we hear from the Lord is through His Word. The Bible is God’s blueprint for life. It gives us everything we need to become saved, and to walk in His ways. It answers our questions, guides our steps, and teaches us who exactly God is. In Isaiah God describes it this way, “So is My word which goes forth from My mouth: it will not return to Me empty, without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.” And as important as reading and following the Word of God is, it’s not the only way He communicates with us. He also speaks with us directly. That is...if we’re listening.

Far too often when I don’t hear from God as quickly as I want, I do as Joyce Myers puts it, “fill my ears with all kinds of things that drown out the voice of God and push Him far, far into the background of my life.” And still at other times after talking with God and not getting an immediate response, I talk some more; as if He didn’t hear me the first time! Although God cares about all aspects of our lives and wants us to talk to Him about anything and everything, He also wants us to listen. He wants us to listen with not only our ears, but with our hearts. And we can’t talk and listen at the same time. 

It’s when we fail to be quiet, patient, and listen for God’s voice that we make our biggest mistakes. Think about the people of Israel. Such heartache, despair, and destruction they could have saved themselves by listening to God. “Hear, O My people, and I will admonish you; O Israel if you would listen to Me!” (Ps. 81:8) I think of the heartache, despair, and destruction in my own life that could have been avoided if I had only done less talking and more listening. For as Solomon says about hearing in Proverbs 1:33, “But he who listens to me shall live securely and  will be at ease from the dread of evil.”

God doesn’t speak trivially, so listening to Him is vital when it comes to our relationship with Him. Every word He speaks is for our benefit not His. And yet He won’t force us to hear His voice. Whether we listen to Him or not is our decision, as is obeying what He tells us to do; even if we don’t like what He has to say.

So the next time you find yourself talking with God, which is I hope everyday, make sure that you’re listening as much as you’re talking. Besides just asking for your needs and wants, ask to hear His voice clearly, and then...listen. Because when you listen to the Lord He promises, “Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know.” (Jer. 33:3) And I don’t know about you, but that sounds like an offer too good to refuse!

You Might Also Like

0 comments