Our Shepherd in Psalm 23

8:00 PM


This Psalm is, without a doubt, the most well known and beloved of all the Psalms. Most of us can probably recite it from memory simply because we’ve heard it recited so often, but there's an important message here The Lord wants to instill in our hearts that may become over looked because the words are so familiar to us. So, I pray you’ll pause for just a few minutes today while we break down what is written and think about His message to us found in Psalm 23,

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” Psalm 23:1-6
"The Lord is my shepherd," v.1a - He leads us, guides us, and is always with us, always watching over us! We are kept safe under His protective care. In David’s time, shepherds had a special relationship with their flocks. They spent every day with their sheep, guiding, protecting them from danger, and going after any that went astray. To the sheep, the shepherd was a constant companion, to the extent that the animals actually grew to recognize his voice and responded to his call. Now think for a moment if this could be said about you and your relationship with our Shepherd?

“I shall not want.” v.1b – because He is Jehovah-Jireh: the Lord our Provider. If God provided so much through Jesus to meet our spiritual needs, just think what He will do to provide for our physical needs each day! As the sheep entered the sheepfolds of the Middle East, they each had to pass under the shepherd’s rod for him to inspect their condition up close. The shepherd would then tend to any obvious needs one by one. Of course, we’re talking needs and not wants, but all this made me think of what is written in Psalm 84:11, “For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.”

"He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside quiet waters,”- v.2 – aaah, and then there is peace, for He is Jehovah-Shalom: God our Peace! Is there anything that is disquieting your spirit and robbing you of your peace just now? Run to Him and seek those quiet moments so that He can quiet your soul once more.

He restores my soul..." v.2-3 - He knows where true rest and blessings are found, and will leads us there. He will restore, refresh and bring peace to our soul once more. In these days and times it seems so many are seeking peace, yet they are looking for it in all the wrong ways! Only Jehovah-Rapha: The Lord our Healer can bring the healing, restoration and the everlasting peace others are seeking.

"He guides me in paths of righteousness" v. 3 - He leads us to walk in His ways, for He is Jehovah-Tsidkenu: The Lord our Righteousness, who will draw us close and bid us to follow Him.

“for his name's sake." v. 3- Did you catch that? “For HIS name’s sake.” He is Jehovah-M’Kaddesh. His name is holy and He promises to lead us in the right ways and to make us holy not for our sake, but His. Often, I’m beating myself up, because I’ve failed to measure up once more, which is why I take great comfort in knowing He takes full responsibility and has promised to get me where He promises when He says, “I the Lord alone am holy, and I make you holy because you are called by my holy name.”

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me, your rod and your staff they comfort me." v. 4 - Life is uncertain and we may at some point suffer with illnesses, loss, or pain if we haven’t already.  But He promises He is Jehovah-Shammah: The God who is there with all mercy, comfort, and grace. He is our Lord who holds ALL power over death and disease and walks besides us ALWAYS! He is the only One who will take us by the hand through our deepest, darkest moments of suffering, and bring freedom and healing from the pains of this life, straight into glory that He has reserved for us. We never have to fear, for He is with us to be our constant strength and Shepherd.


"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows." v. 5 - We have a place reserved for us at His table, He has made room for us, and wants us to stay close to Him. Throughout history, hosts were expected to protect their guests at all costs. Did you know are kept in the palm of His hand and nothing can reach us there unless He permits it? In the midst of all the craziness of this world, we can find security resting in His care. This doesn't mean that we won't ever face adversity, but with the help of His Spirit and power we will also be able to experience victories and even blessings through it all.

"Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." v. 6 - That word, "follow" means "to chase after, to pursue." We can be assured; He is chasing after us today, and all our days, with His goodness, love and mercy. Isn't that amazing? Us? And even at the end of our lives here on this earth, He has even greater things for us in store, far greater than we could even imagine!

(Selah! He is so worthy of all we can give back to Him today! I pray you'll take just a moment or two to just worship Him today!)

Blessings!

 


You Might Also Like

0 comments