Sharing and Giving Thanks {1 Samuel 29:1 - 31:13}

12:30 AM

Image result for Philippians 2:3

How difficult is it to share with others?

It seems my generation was very quick to learn that the more you have, the more people would respect you.  My husband and I recently had a conversation with another couple and we were discussing the values of our children’s generation and comparing them to our own.  We seemed to have picked up from our parents the drive and determination that hard work pays off.  We didn’t live through the Depression Era and we haven’t experienced food or gas rations.  We’ve been very, very blessed with good lives.  A lot of people I know have at least one home, 2-3 cars; they either have a cottage, or vacation property, or take at least one big vacation each year.

But the generation of the 20-somethings, they are more about minimalism.  They want less and are able to pursue life with less stuff.  Just look at the “Tiny House” movement.  But have you noticed all the self-storage facilities?  At least in the area I live, many people cannot even park in their garages because they have so much stuff.  There are indoor storage facilities to protect stuff from the weather elements.  What is it that we are keeping and accumulating? 

When I asked myself the question, “How difficult is it to share?” I had to admit – not always easy.  I can share my “stuff”, in fact, I enjoying sharing what I have.  But what I was convicted of most, was sharing my time.  I have discovered that while I joined in with a lot of people in hot pursuit of stuff, I have found that the commodity of time is very precious.  And it is very difficult for me to give up the time I use for myself to spend time with others.

Springtime is a great time to clean out what you don’t need.  Why lock it away in a facility and never use it?  Why not share it with a needy family?  You’d be surprised how many people don’t have a dining room table, or a bed to sleep on.  And while you’re at it, help someone who is lonely and play a game of chess with them.  David reminds us that generosity towards others expresses our gratitude toward God.

Image result for 1 samuel 30:23

You Might Also Like

0 comments