The Preliminaries before the Last Seven Plagues {Revelations 15}

12:00 AM






As I researched these last few chapters I thought back to my days of childbirth and thought it all seemed very similar, though I couldn’t find any “male” theologian to admit to this! But then the Lord reminded me that He, Himself likened the time of tribulation to labor pains in Matthew 24:8, "But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.”

During the time I was having my children, natural childbirth was very popular and I had decided early on that I wanted to be awake and alert to witness my children first come into the world! My labors were longer than most women, but through breathing techniques and such, I was able to sail through much of it until the final stage of “transition” began. In transition the contractions begin coming one on top of the other with really no break in between and they are far more intense; preparing my body to deliver some of the most precious gifts I’ve ever been given! Fortunately, for women enduring natural childbirth, this part of labor is shortened, and just when I thought I couldn’t endure anymore, it was time for my children to be born!

What is about to take place in chapter 16 with the seven angels spilling the seven last plagues from the golden bowls onto the world will be exactly like the transition stage of a women’s labor; the plagues will come quicker, be more intense, but the duration will be shorten, and just when there seems no one will be able to endure it any longer, Jesus will come to the rescue for the final battle!

Chapter 15 gives a glimpse of heaven and God’s glory and wrath just prior to the final stage of the tribulation.

First, the Period of Waiting (15:1-4):
Then I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvelous, seven angels who had seven plagues, which are the last, because in them the wrath of God is finished.
2 And I saw something like a sea of glass mixed with fire, and those who had been victorious over the beast and his image and the number of his name, standing on the sea of glass, holding harps of God. 3 And they sang the song of Moses, the bond-servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying,
“Great and marvelous are Your works,
O Lord God, the Almighty;
Righteous and true are Your ways,
King of the nations!
4 “Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify Your name?
For You alone are holy;
For all the nations will come and worship before You,
For Your righteous acts have been revealed.”


            1.  Seven angels carrying seven bowls full of judgment. I found it interesting that the only other time we see seven golden bowls was in Revelations chapter 5 that I wrote on a few weeks ago. In that chapter the seven golden bowls were, “full of fragrant incense, which are the prayers of the saints”. (5:8). I haven’t been able to read anything about the significance of both sets of bowls yet, but I thought it was worth noting.

            2.  A gracious God whose wrath is about to be poured out on the world. His patience and mercy has come to an end.

            3.  The tribulation saints; those who did not bow down to the beast are standing on a sea of glass (God’s Word) and fire (judgment) and they begin to sing the Song of Moses in Ex. 15 - A Song of Physical Redemption and The Song of The Lamb - A Song of Spiritual  Redemption.  They’re singing of God's greatness, goodness and His glory!

Second, A Place of Worship (15:5-8):

 After these things I looked, and the temple of the tabernacle of testimony in heaven was opened, and the seven angels who had the seven plagues came out of the temple, clothed in linen, clean and bright, and girded around their chests with golden sashes. Then one of the four living creatures gave to the seven angels seven golden bowls full of the wrath of God, who lives forever and ever. And the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God and from His power; and no one was able to enter the temple until the seven plagues of the seven angels were finished.



1.  The angels come from the very presence of God! They are dresses in linen which speaks of holiness, purity and divine righteousness. They are also girded with a gold sash, which speaks of divine restraint.  I found it so interesting that they stepped from the place of absolute holiness to execute judgment upon the place of absolute wickedness and rebellion.
           
2. One of the Four Beasts; the cherubim who guarded the holiness of God, and because they’ve represented the totality of God's creation, it seems fitting that one should be involved in the redemption of God’s creation (Rom. 8:19-21) 

3. I found it very interesting that the way into God is barred during this time as His wrath is poured out against a world that has rejected Him and His Son Jesus.  I can’t say for sure why this occurs, but I did think of several times in the Old Testament when God’s presence is described as a cloud filling the temple. (2 Chron 5:14; 7:1; 1 Kings 8:11; Ezekiel 43)

I remember while in the transition period of labor actually asking my husband if we could just forget about all this and go home, as if that were possible! (You tend to say things you don’t mean during the transitional period J) And just as it was too late to turn back then, it’s too late to stop the outcome of all God has planned, though we can make sure we will be spared from God’s wrath now through the sacrifice Jesus has already made on our behalf. His blood has opened a way for us into the very presence and heart of God. 

And one day all who have accepted the gift of His sacrifice for us, will celebrate forever!

You Might Also Like

0 comments