LOVE!

12:00 AM


Welcome to Scripture Saturday!

Today we are memorizing Colossians 3:14
And above all these put on love, which binds everything in perfect harmony.

Here is the amplified version…

Beyond all these things put on and wrap yourselves in [unselfish] love, which is the perfect bond of unity [for everything is bound together in agreement when each one seeks the best for others].
 
Love is very important to the Christian. When Jesus was asked how to inherit eternal life He responded in agreement with what was written, "love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”(Luke 10:27)
In our verse today, Paul says to "over all" put on love. A follower of Jesus should be known for his or her love above all else.  Ask yourself, “How are you known by others?” 
In 1 Corinthians Paul writes about the importance of “over all” love. ”If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. (13:1-3)

All these gifts are empty without love. True, genuine faith reveals itself in love.
I read this wonderful sermon about what it means to “put on” love and I wanted to share excerpts from it with you all…
“Paul tells us to ‘put on’ love. It is something we are required to DO. We can become more loving but we must understand what love means practically. We must study what God says love is. We must ask ourselves, ‘Am I patient, kind, and without envy in my relationships? Am I seeking to help those who have a need? Am I desiring the best for those that God has brought into my life? Am I seeking to build up others or only to build up myself through others?’

Putting on means…
~to accept people where they are. Love starts where the other person is not where we would like them to be.
~overlooking small irritations. Everyone of us has blemishes. 
~looking for potential rather than problems. We need to remember that each person is created in the image of God. Each one has been made for a particular purpose. Love demands we learn to build up, rather than tear down.

Love does not happen naturally. We must focus on love. When we see unloving feelings beginning to creep in, we must stand against them. We must repent of our attitude and return to love.” (B. Goettsche)

And what happens when we “above all these put on love”? You will see love bringing Christians together. You will see how love will draw people to Christ. We each have a responsibility to "put on love" in our own lives. This is the most important task we have because if we, without hesitation, “put on love”  the world will see Jesus as the great Savior that He truly is.

Father, through your strength, help me to focus on and guide me to love others as Your Son loved me! Help me glorify You in my every day loving attitude and actions.

Have a blessed and precious day everyone!

You Might Also Like

0 comments