Be Steadfast ... {1 Corinthians 15}

12:30 AM

    Paul grabbed my attention on the very first verse of chapter 15! “Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand.-15:1. Is it really necessary to be reminded of something we should already know? You-bet-IT-is!

I remember one Sunday as a new Christian, sitting next to a much maturer Christian women that I highly respected, in a ladies’ Sunday School class. The class was being taught by the pastor’s wife, and it seemed like fireworks were going off in my head!! I just sat there and “oohed” and “aahed” over every little truth she expounded upon! Until all of a sudden I happened to look over at the women sitting next to me, who I assumed had probably heard all of this before, and wondered if she was bored with all that was being said. After all, it was all new to me and very exciting at the moment, but one day would it all become “boring? And since inquisitive minds need to know, I leaned over and asked her at that very minute, and I’ve never forgotten her response!

Sue was also committed to meeting with me every Thursday morning for one year and allowed me to ask her any questions I had about this new Christian life. She taught me all the basic beliefs every Christian should know, but best of all, she helped create in me a hunger to know more! Her answer actually started me on a journey I’m still on today! She said, “Never! God’s Word is always new and fresh; alive and never boring, which is why I love to meet with new believers, because I never grow tired of the basic doctrinal beliefs! In fact, I find I need to be constantly reminded of them myself in order to stay grounded in my own faith.”

That sealed my fate! I too would focus on building a solid foundation for other believers to stand on, all the while always grounding my own faith as well. And I have to add that  I’ve discovered over the past 30+ years since then, that Sue was absolutely right! And Paul knew it too! Just look how he chose to close the chapter,

“Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your work is not in vain in the Lord.”- 1 Corinthians 15:58

We’ve got to have a solid foundation in order to be able to stand firm or steadfast, which is why Paul felt it necessary to remind the Corinthians and us, “of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand.” (15:1)

Steadfast means "to be firmly fixed in place or determined". Paul explains this a bit better in his letter to the Colossians - “You must continue to believe this truth and stand firmly [be steadfast] in it. Don’t drift away from the assurance you received when you heard the Good News.” Colossians 1:23

Do you know of anyone who has “drifted away” from the truth of the Gospel today?

What should we do to stand firm or be steadfast in this life? What should we do if we don't want to be, “tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching” (Ephesians 4:14) or “deceived by the serpent”. (2 Corinthians 11:3)?

We’ve got to get into the Word and make sure those we know and love are getting into it too! Paul explained it to Timothy this way,  “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.” (1 Timothy 2:15). We need to not only read it, but live it. Jesus told us,. “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings.” John 8:31

Immovable” or “steady”-(1 Corinthians 15:58b) is a lot like being steadfast, although immovable means, “one is not capable of being sidetracked (emotionally or physically) from their purpose”! Think about that for a moment, for this has huge implications for Christians!  Paul’s desire was for the Corinthians to be unmoved by the false teachers of that day, but what about today? What does it look like to be immovable/standing strong in our lives today? How can we hold fast to the teachings of Jesus when it seems like everyone is doing their own thing and going their own way and we’re called out as bigots or worse because of our stand on God’s Word?

  His Word is here to help us with this and these are just a few suggestions it offers:

  • Be in Constant Prayer- (1 Thessalonians 5:17-18): Prayer fills us and fuels us with all that’s necessary to stand firm in our beliefs. It helps and protects during the trials of life! Twelve times in the Scripture Jesus went off to prayer in times of conflict and when simply seeking wisdom!
  • Rejoice! -(1Thessalonians 5:16) : Remember an attitude of joy comes from a strong faith, for we trust in the One who is always in control!
  • “Take heart, because I (Jesus) have overcome the world.” John 16:33
  • Be “filled” (Ephesians 5:18) and “walk by the Spirit” (Galatians 4:30) “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing … singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” Colossians 3:16

“Always abounding in the work of the Lord” – 1 Corinthians 15:58c. Paul is quick to point out  here that when the believer is steadfast and immovable success in the Lord’s work was sure to follow them. Abound actually means “to overflow or be abundant”. Paul wants us to soar, “knowing that your work is not in vain in the Lord.” -1 Corinthians 15:58d

As Christians we are all called to be missionaries wherever we’re located; communicating the gospel of Jesus Christ! And Scripture promises us that if we’ll abound and  “... not grow weary of doing good... in due season” we will succeed! (Galatians 6:9) Paul not only wants to remind all of us of simple, basic, doctrinal truth, he wants all of us to live out this Christian life in a strong, steady and successful way!

I know I may be just “preaching to the choir” here. I’m sure all of you who are reading this today can say, “I’m in God’s Word each day! I’m praying, seeking to be filled and walking in the Spirit daily, abounding in the Lord’s work!” And to that I would say, “Hallelujah! But are you also helping others to do the same?”

Christ’s church is shrinking today. I believe we need Paul’s exhortations now more than ever it seems.

You Might Also Like

0 comments